Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how does one go about putting together a benifit

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bad_bo_ti, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

My cousin was in a bad wrecked 8-11-05 and has still not woke up on his own, he rolled his pickup 3-4 times and was ejected out of the truck causing a severe head injury, i am wanting to raise money to help pay his bills and help him back on his feet when he gets better, i have never done anything like this before and know some of you guys have had some hard times too nd may have done something similar of been apart of something and might be able to help me set something up, i appreciate all the help. i know i am not on alot but i have been coming to this site almost everyday since i first found it and i normally try and help out where i can, i am not asking for you guys to set anything up on his behalf, but just want advice so i can throw a local benifit. thanks chris

2. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

Benefit....

Chris,

Get together with a local bar that either you or he frequents. We have had a few benefits for a couple of our customers and a some local worthy causes. Everything from helping one of our customers pay his chemotherapy bills, to helping continue the search for Jessica Lunsford (her father is one of our customers), to helping the local abuse shelter raise money. The bars like to do it for a couple of reasons, good press and customer relations, and they make money selling drinks. I know that sounds kind of callous, but it's true. It's good for the cause as well for various reasons... Bar customers have discretionary cash, and most like to help out others in need. I'm talking about working age folks, not ravers :D

What we usually do is to get local businesses to donate items that we then auction or raffle off, get local eateries to donate food that we set donation jars near, and we usually charge a cover charge at the door that we donate 100% to the cause. We usually print up a flier and get local businesses to post it, giving credit to the folks that contribute. And finally we get the local media involved to promote it and then reward the contributers with recognition. Depending on your local laws you can do 50/50 drawings... Some of the biker type bars do "poker runs"... All sorts of ideas...

People like to do things to help others because it makes them feel good. Most times all it takes to make that happen is someone to organize it! It ends up being a win-win for all involved.