Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does one know if a 14 bolt has a detroit? And other related questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Mar 23, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to look for a full floater 14 bolt that wil fit my blazer (I know how to find that much) and I want one with a detroit. I will pretty much only be looking in the yards for one. I have become very patient when it comes to finding parts for and fixing this thing so rarety makes no never mind to me.

I know what they look like in Dana 60's and 70's, but I also know they look completely different in a 14 bolt since you do not have to replace the whole carrier in a 14 bolt (unless you started with a limited slip).

So what does the locker look like in a 14 bolt carrier? Anyone have a pic? Also, what are the gear ratios where you need a new carrier in a 14 bolt? And will the detroit swap between the two? I will be running 4.88's.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the only way you will find one is if it was put in aftermarket as they were never offered stock. the Carrier break is 4:10 oh and a detroit looks like this
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They were installed in military axles though with 4.56 gears. That is the only application that the detroit came in stock in the 14bff. If the axle isn't out of an M1008 (I think thats the right number) it doesn't have a detroit unless a PO installed it.

The M1008 is the military K30 pickup. So unless you find a PO add in you will only find the Detroit in military applications, and with 4.56 gears.

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Do I have to take the carrier apart to see it? I'd like to be able to just remove the diff cover and take an educated look. I've never seen a carrier in a vehicle neatly cut open like the pic on the right. heheh

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Also you will have to move the spring perches to get it to fit into a Blazer. The K30 is the 1 ton and the spring perches are in different locations from the 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks.

So basically if you find a 14bff with a detroit it should have the correct carrier for the 4.88 gears you want to run. If the one you find doesn't have 4.56's and the gears are lower it doesn't really matter. You can buy "thick" gears for the 4.10 carrier and not have to get a new carrier.

I am running 4.56 gears in the 4.10 carrier. They are the thick cut gears. They cost like $20 extra, but you don't need the new carrier.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

7. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They were installed in military axles though with 4.56 gears. That is the only application that the detroit came in stock in the 14bff. If the axle isn't out of an M1008 (I think thats the right number) it doesn't have a detroit unless a PO installed it.[ QUOTE ]

This isnt completely accurate. I have worked on the K30's for the navy and there are definitly no lockers, or even gov-locks for that matter in our axles. Granted our's are a utility version but the army mechs here said that there's dont have lockers either.