Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how does one tighten the wing window latch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 6, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

mine's getting loose from use, and it's starting to whistle as i go down the road. any fixes?

2. black sheep

black sheep Registered Member

most I know use a couple of pennies as shims,but if you are a big spender use quartes

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want to do it right, get new window seals. Or for a quick cheap fix use pennys or a matchbook as said.

4. colbystephens

i'd rather not do the pennies. i'm not sure its the seals tho. the latch itself is loose - it has started wiggling around in the glass when not latched. how do i dissemble/fix the latch?

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

On a 1987 style there is (wrist) pin in it you drive it out then it looks like a thin metal piece that is like a flat spring that keeps tension on it. My drivers is starting to do the same. Just haven't felt like doing it yet. Be careful when you go to take it apart as there should be a coiled spring in it for the button. Once it is apart gently bend the flat spring like disk to give it more tension.

About the only way I can explain it. Just be careful when you go to lift the part apart!

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

LMC has a good exploded view of the latch.

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

mine was shaking too much offroad, so i just riveted it shut. didn't really use it much anyway. not the right way to deal with it, but it is a way.

8. colbystephens

i like to use mine alot. nice little breeze. :)

9. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

so do i...and mine do the same thing. lol. i used to have the back window down but i started to get headaches and not be able to concentrate as easy so it stays up now.:haha:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

vent windows suck....

My 82 K20's vent windows have rotted metal frames,the glass would probably fall out in the street if I open them!..the passenger side is missing the knob,and I used a vent window lock to keep it closed..since both windows no longer fit tight to the rubber weatherseal,and the rubber isn't the greatest,they whistled dixie evertime I went over 40 mph..:doah:

A quick trip to Lowe's for a caulking gun and a tube of black silicone sealant solved that problem FOREVER!..:D --

I dont need no whistling vent windows,or any cold air leaks...my side windows still roll up and down ok!..the doors were all rotted on the bottoms,I just patched them with sheet metal..I saved the doors off my 74 K20 (they were off an '85 truck)--so I might fix what little rust they had and put them on someday--the vent windows and mirrors on them are in decent shape..putting a vent window in sucks,I'd rather swap the whole door on instead!...:crazy:

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i hate that about having the back window down. it could be so cool if it weren't for that whole little "dying from brain damage" detail. my friend's jeeps do it, too with the tops on, but rear window open.