Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does the fiberglass top of a K5 hold up in a roll?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 25, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Just wondering how well the fiberglass top on the rear of a non-full-convertable K5 holds up in a roll. I didn't know if it was reinforced or if it would just crush.

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

from what i have heard, in a rollover the fiberglass tops tend to stay in one piece, the only downer is, that they ushally seperate from the rest of the vehicle. this really makes the rear seatbelts dangerous if they are strapped to the top

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Yeah. So do the bolts shear off or do they just rip the caged nuts out of the bed rails?

4. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

They don't hold up well at all, here is a picture of my friends truck. The top didn't stay on or stay in 1 piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It looks like it just ripped off the bolted down portions.

6. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

It was cracked all over the place... was basically in 3 pieces when set back on the rig to drive home.

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are crispy and crunchy. I made mine stronger with an interior layer of paper machea and an external layer of spray paint. This made it much stronger. And quieter. I'm not even scared of rolling..... Seriously, they don't do much from what i've seen. Somebody show that roll with the two guys on potato salad hill. Watch what happens to that blazer and then realize how lucky those guys are to have their skulls intact.

8. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

It would make sense that it could hold if it rolled on something that spread the force out, like sand or soil. However, if it hits a rock or something that creates a pressure point, it will surely crack and then it's a sure thrashing.

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

guess it depends on how many times you roll. I rolled my 78 3 1/2 time down a hill at TDS this year and it held up fine. and only one of the glass side broke out the other stayed in tact.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty much the only damage was right here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow! I can't believe that it didn't do more damage to the top. It looks like the front of the truck took the majority of the roll but I still can't believe it didn't smash it to bits. Makes me feel a little bit better about not have a cage.

12. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

yeah mine did not have a cage either. It was all factory. The main hoop even held up just fine.

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, but it was discovered that those guys driving that truck did not have all of the bolts bolted down. With all of the bolts in, a flexy truck runs that chance of cracking the top at full flex (due to frame flex). I think it was discovered that the truck that rolled on potato salad hill only had 4 of the bolts in. :eek1:

BTW- The fiberglass tops are reinforced with steel at the points that take the brunt of the impact in a roll. There are a ton of factors that will determine if the stock hardtop holds up to a roll. If it is a slow roll, then it should hold up pretty well. If it is a violent, multiple roll, then it might not be pretty. Hell, many interior cages need to be re-done after hard rolls.
    -Harrison

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

:screwy: Note to self.... Yellow K5's roll more often.... DO NOT paint K5 yellow

15. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

mine flattened right out and just expoded. mind that was after doing an endo at 100 kph. the cab held out ok tho but if there had been anybody in the back it wouldn't have been pleasant.