Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How does using your AC effect your gas milage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    How much more gas does your truck suck when your running the AC? Is it a noticable impact, or is that just an old farce?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dunno, but if I get less mileage than I do now, I'll be getting gallons per mile (GPM) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

you mean you can measure how fast the gas gets sucked through. my eyes arent that fast.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've heard that at cruise on the highway you burn less because you have the windows rolled up and less drag.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The A/C compressor, when engaged takes up some power, so the engine has to run a little higher rpm for the same speed. Now with the windows down, all the air is going somewhere, right inside so there's drag, but I haven't seen a real big difference in mileage between A/C down the highway, compared to no A/C with the window up.

6. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah you're right
    after about 35 mph the drag with the windows down will suck more gas than the a/c running...probably wont feel much power difference, but if you're on a long trip you might notice it...

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I'm sure the biggest difference in gas milage is when you are stop and go. I can't remember the exact figure but the A/C compressor costs about 10 or so ponies when it's off and much more when it's engaged. I would imagine that a motor that doesn't even have a compressor would get much better milage than one that has one and is on no matter what the driving conditions.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

drag from the windows being down prolly wouldnt be too fierce if the hard top and tailgate were off... and there was no rear seat. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont have ac onmy 5k,but the wife has it on her car.you get about a 10 to 15 percent drop in gas milage using ac as if you dont use it.we get about 20 mpg without 15 with it.i cant stand being too hot so if i can use it i do.i say,"**** gas milage if you can be comfortable" at least if it is a long trip.but for a trail rig i wouldnt have it.just sucks more power that can gop to the wheels /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif