Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how easy is it to lengthen or stretch a hood?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 11, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am still gathering info for an eventual s-10 body swap onto my k5 and have heard from several hybrid owners that they had to "stretch" their hood and front fenders anywhere from 6 to 10" in order to solve various problems. Question: how hard is this to do? what exactly is involved? Is it easier/cheaper to do with fiberglass or the original steel hood? I originially planned on running a 'pinned on 2" cowl induction fiberglass hood for clearance and for the weight saving benefits. Is it even possible to do this kinda thing with a fiberglass hood? any thoughts or info on this kinda thing would be greatly appreciated. I did a search for info on fiberglass but didnt come up with much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

White Knight did the same thing, but I believe his parts were sheetmetal. Check out his site, I think it has some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I was planning on cutting two hoods and welding them together. Only problem is that the hoods are tapered and it would be hard to match up the lines. I know I could do it, but it wouldn't be pretty but it would be better than the 8" of sheetmetal I use now. My brother and I were going to have a local High School body shop class experiment with our parts (lengthening hood, fenders, etc.). Talked to the teacher and thought it would be a good idea. We never followed up on it though.