Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How easy is it to rebuild a rear diff (from a novice perspective)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sarasotausmc, Jul 5, 2004.

1. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've searched, and there are answers to most of the questions I have regarding this, but...For a man with limited mechanical skills, how hard is rebuilding a rear end? Chiltons makes it look like a walk in the park, but I don't believe it. Is that something that I can afford to learn as I go using Chilton's , or is there more involved than what they show and pay to have it done?

Reason for the rebuild question: When driving, I have a clanging noise, almost like a bell sound that comes up after releasing the accelerator or coasting. Tapping on the drive shaft with a hammer makes a similar noise, and with tranny in N with wheels off ground, I can feel "something" grinding/binding when turning wheels by hand.

Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is easy to get the parts in, its difficult to set the gears up. You need a dial indicator and a few other items. Some diffs , like c-clip GM axles, require the carrier come in and out several times before you get it right. Many pros who do it regularly have the experience to get it close the first time . I have rebuilt engines, and still do not want to set gears up myself /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In all honesty, it may be cheaper and easier too just swap a different axle in. Just make sure the gears ratio is the same.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If you think its in the rear end, id pull the cover and see what exactly is the matter.