Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Effective is a K&N

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I just got a K&n filter for my 6.2. I wonder how effective it will be. any comments?

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I've been considering this myself. Did you get the stock replacement K&N? I want to make a setup like the FIPK's and use an airbox from a 96-99 vortech to keep the filter dry.

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

They do flow better but they don't filter as well as paper elements. I wouldn't put a K&N filter on anything I own, filtering performance is more important. If you are looking for additional flow consider Dr. Lee's dual 3" stacked design from www.thedieselpage.com.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I got the drop in filter. They dont make a FIPK for our truck unfortunately.

I've heard about that article before as well, saying that "nothing filters as good as OEM paper filters". but then I've run them for years, and they've held up .. no problems. its all about how good the seal is between the K&N.

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been considering this myself. Did you get the stock replacement K&N? I want to make a setup like the FIPK's and use an airbox from a 96-99 vortech to keep the filter dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No K&N for me. Dodge had a warranty problem a bit back where if they found a K&N the warranty was void!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I also remember that the dodge issue was with a poorly manufacturered box that didnt always seat the filters in right.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Thedieselpage ran photos of the gunk that made it through a K&N. Not so with OEM paper.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They do flow better but they don't filter as well as paper elements. I wouldn't put a K&N filter on anything I own, filtering performance is more important. If you are looking for additional flow consider Dr. Lee's dual 3" stacked design from www.thedieselpage.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I am good with my stock 6" high filter?
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Instead of spending big $$ on a k&n, try going to Home Depot and buying some window screen to put over your intake. Its about the same thing. I really like Amsoil 2 stage foam filters. Flow better than stock, and filter way better.