Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far can you drive a golf ball?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cybrfire, Jul 16, 2006.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Now, this doesn't necessarily have to be done with a golf club. I don't golf but I can drive the ball a good mile.:eek1:

We built a cheetah gun for seating tires some time ago and at the same time built a conversion for it for launching golf balls. The golf ball end of it fits the ball perfectly. When you load the ball in the barrel it takes some time to get to the "Chamber" since the air in the barrel has to squeeze around the ball.

We're launching at 125 p.s.i. and with the barrel about 4' long and sitting at a 45* angle the balls literally disappear.:haha:

The cheetah gun consists of an 8 gallon air tank, a hole cut in the side and a black steel 2" pipe fitting welded in. Then a 2" ball valve is screwed onto that and then another fitting. From here we attached the barrel or the cheetah gun attachment. IF YOUR NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR WELDING SKILLS, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

We'll try to get a video one of these weekends when we are messing with it. It's pretty wild.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Pump it up to 175 PSI and then shoot it. :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

i just tried golfing about a month ago, ask mtchevy, that was a funny sight for people except me... i couldnt connect with the damn thing unless i went really easy on it... i was getting P***ed! the farthest golf ball that i hit went maybe 200 yards...:mad:

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

found a golf ball in my moms van from washington state.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, laugh it up Kert, I was hiding behind the dumpster in case it exploded. :haha:

I'll snag our digital video camera when I come down again on the 29th if you want, although you do realize the police can use that as evidence. :D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Shoot it at something when you take the video.

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

When I built my propane powered tater gun I built a golf ball adapter for it. I can fire one golf ball farther than you can see it.

If I loaded 5 of them into it and use the hottest propane load I was willing to experiment with you could keep track of maybe one or two if they were the bright florescent ones and you shoot them at a higher angle to limit distance.

And speaking of firing AT something. I fired the 5 ball load at a concrete buidling. I was about 50ft away and hiding behind a concrete barrier and 4 of the balls hit the wall and flew back over us and we still couldn't keep track of them. Oddly enough one of the golf balls was sitting on the ground just a foot or two away from the wall and was crushed and broken up. I wonder if the other one hitting it as it hit the wall shattered it.

I didn't do it this year... but usually I put firworks in the gun and use wadding to launch them high in the air. I make aerial displays where none were before.

And just FYI - the development of my propane gun was riddled with many failures and lots of shrapnel. So if you are going to build on. BE CAREFUL.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I got pics on mine, Ill post them up when I get back to mallard im down south at my parents house right now. I got a sweet one of you Kert you can see the air coming out of the barrel, I doubt theres any chance in hell you can see the ball though. Damn that thing sailed.

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

It's all fun and games until someone knocks down the grain elevator:doah::haha::haha:

I must have missed the invatation to the party:mad:[​IMG]

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Better get there quick or Terry's gonna hold your core support hostage until you sell him that 'burb. :haha:

11. Stomper

Thanks for telling him it's for me:doah::doah:
    Hell, I thought I was going to have to walk home last week. He's very sensitive:haha::haha:

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Exact quote from Terry "He drove it up here just to piss me off":haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Stomper

It worked too:haha::haha::haha: Hell, I let him drive it:deal:

Hey Terry[​IMG]

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how far can i drive it? are we only using one tank of gas? 17 mpg x 36 gals = 612 mi in one shot. :D