Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far can you get away with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 10, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Went to install the PSC steering pump that I bought when I bought my new PSC steering box for the crossover setup. I noticed right off that the return line tube on the PSC unit was farther inboard and had to do a little S curve to make it out to the outside. After bolting the new pump in, I see that the return tube is pressed up against the block at one point, and hitting the stock exhaust manifold on the outer part. It is also restricted from moving up and down because of this. I fired off an e-mail to PSC and I'm sure we will get it resolved. Anybody know why the return line is so different though?

On to the main question. After puttin the pump, I see that the pulley on the pump is slightly offset from the main pulley. The belt is angled a bit from the main pulley to the pump pulley. How far off can you be before you have belt problems? If it is off at all, do you wear you pump bearings excessively?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    On to the main question. After puttin the pump, I see that the pulley on the pump is slightly offset from the main pulley. The belt is angled a bit from the main pulley to the pump pulley. How far off can you be before you have belt problems? If it is off at all, do you wear you pump bearings excessively?

[/ QUOTE ]

V belts can take misalignment up to a certain amount...

After a quick google search I found these sites:

site 1

site 2

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know what pump you have but I had to space my TC pump out to get it to line up with the crank pulley. The bracket they sell to mount the pump to the head doesn't fit right with certain pulley setups. I just used the largest diameter washers that still fit the bolt okay for spacers. I think I have like three 7/16" washers stacked up to make a spacer about 1/8" + thick. I so far have not had any problems with this setup.

Will spacing it out get the fitting to clear everything. If so this is what I would do.

4. Desert Rat

Kenny, both those sites gave me a headache... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but, they did tell me I have a problem. Mine fall under parallel misalignment. Miniwally, I wish I had your problem. Mine is the opposite. The pump is a little too far out. I can't push it back any farther than it is. So, I'm not sure how that happened since the pump looks to be the same dimension as the old one. I did have an A/C unit that was perched over the top of the steering pump on another bracket that I removed, but that shouldn't make a difference. The remaining brackets are just the stock ones. I put the three pics I sent PSC here under Misc. Pics http://community.webshots.com/user/douglasgrant

5. Desert Rat

Nobody else?

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Looking at the pulley you have on there I notice it is different than mine. My pulley has a double V in it and the second on almost touches those 2 bolts. Is there a chance that you have a non AC pulley on that pump and AC pulleys on the rest of the vehicle???? I know when I added AC to mine I had to change the PS pulley from a single like you have to a double. I would start there.

7. Desert Rat

I had A/C but I removed it. However, the only difference is that the main pulley has the extra groove for the A/C belt. The P/S pump is in the stock location with the belt the same as it was. Looks like the issue is the return line tube protruding too far and keeping the pump from moving far enough back. The tube rests against the block and the exhaust manifold. PSC is going to work with me to get the right reservoir that matches my old one.