Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how far can you get with 10 bucks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vw62rag, Aug 20, 2004.

1. vw62rag

vw62rag Registered Member

im jus getting use to driving my jimmy(jus barly got it running) but i put 10 bucks in gas, that was like 5 gallons, and i went to work n back 2wice and ran out, its like 8 miles one way. do your rigs consume this much gas? its a 355 with a mild cam, some minor head port work,edelbrock intake and 1405 carb, some headers, msd 6AL box, ooh yea and a timing gear (lol not that it matters but it does sound cool), i jus orderd some jets for the carb to lean it up cuz its kinda rich(maybe that will help a little?), but dam my 3/4 ton suburban with a th400 tranz was better on gas. any help would be cool unless thats the way its supposed to guzzle

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So you got 3.2 miles per gallon? No sir that aint right.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

There and back two times at 8 miles one way totals 32 miles. That makes 6.4 MPG. Add in extra miles he possibly didn't realise he drove (they add up quicker than we think) and that brings him up to "bad" gas mileage, but not mind blowing. I'm sure something can be done to bring it up though.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Tranny? Gears? Tire size? When's the last time you did a tune-up? Is the way to work through the city or on a highway? How fast were you driving?

5. vw62rag

yea i keep it pretty well tuned up, i also have a innovate LM-1 A/F meter(thats how i knew it was running a little rich), 9 inches of lift, 35s , 700r4, 208 TC , and stock axels, and i mostly drive it on the street no highway(and any mud i see) i drive it normal, not fast at all

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    9 inches of lift, 35s , 700r4, 208 TC , and stock axels, and i mostly drive it on the street no highway(and any mud i see) i drive it normal, not fast at all

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your problem.

Too tall (crappy for wind resistance on an already boxy vehicle)

700R4.....overdrive, so the engine is lugging

Stock axles......crappy gears, once again, engine lugging.

Of course you're going to get crappy fuel mileage.

An edelbrock 1405 has really big jets in it from the factory. You're going to have to jet it down if you want better fuel economy.

7. vw62rag

cool thanks, i ordered some jets today ill get them tommorow, any other ideas?

8. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

lets see 10 bucks 5 gals around 15miles LOL My truck sucks fuel like mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

re gear with prober gearing for 35s. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My GM full size 4x4 trucks get between 12 to 16 miles per gallon,doesent matter if its the lightweight 79 C10 that had a 250 six in it,or the 74 GMC K20 with a 400 small block and it weighs 6200 lbs empty--they are both stock except for an edelbrock carb on the six and a carter 625cfm carb on the 400.Since the motor died in the 79,I'm putting a 305 back in for now,I bet the mileage will improve slightly over the six.The milage champ so far is the 82 diesel 6.2,its a K20 4x4 TH400,gears unknown,but they sound like 3.42 or 3.73's--that will get 15-22 mpg /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--I didnt trust the fuel gauge at first,it seemed to move too slow! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif--but diesel fuel went up 10 cents in one week here all of a sudden,now its 1.80 a gallon,while gas has leveled off to 1.90 a gallon,down from a high of 2.10 about a month or so ago-- /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--I should put a diesel in the 79,but the yards want 600 bucks for one that just runs,and not that great either,swapping the hydroboost and all the other stuff discouraged me from going that route.
    Maybe its time to drive your beetle ragtop--thats a cool ride for the summer!.I'm thinking of getting another diesel VW jetta or Rabbit and thinning my fleet of gas guzzlers down,had an 86 Jetta that got 43 mpg,and had 252,000 miles on it,still ran great!--ten bucks in that thing would get me almost to new jersey!. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    im jus getting use to driving my jimmy(jus barly got it running) but i put 10 bucks in gas, that was like 5 gallons, and i went to work n back 2wice and ran out, its like 8 miles one way. do your rigs consume this much gas? its a 355 with a mild cam, some minor head port work,edelbrock intake and 1405 carb, some headers, msd 6AL box, ooh yea and a timing gear (lol not that it matters but it does sound cool), i jus orderd some jets for the carb to lean it up cuz its kinda rich(maybe that will help a little?), but dam my 3/4 ton suburban with a th400 tranz was better on gas. any help would be cool unless thats the way its supposed to guzzle

[/ QUOTE ]

I can go about 83 miles on 5 gallons...but my truck has the 6.2 diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

12. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

80+ miles but I have a heavy foot.

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

About 2-4 miles /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

100 - 120 miles depending on how I drive.

15. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

What is proper gears for 35's.
    Ive calculated, and to bring it to thinking it is stock, would require 4.7X Would changing it from 3.73 to 4.11 be too much, not enough?
    If i go too low, going to get crappy highway mileage, but with 3.73, it thinks it is running up hill all the time, so the town mileage is crappy.

16. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

It takes me 7-8 gallons to drive over the hill, 75-80 miles. Im going from 4400 ft, to 5200 feet, down to 1000 feet. But I keep her at around 60-70.
    Eddie

17. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can go about 83 miles on 5 gallons...but my truck has the 6.2 diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

yep it sucks, i only get about 75 miles with 10 bucks... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif gotta love the 6.5L /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    oh ya, thats with 33's, stock 3.42 gears and a 700r /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif