Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far can you reach out?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Sandman, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Today while driving around, I was briefly able to talk to a guy in Kentucky. I was also able to talk to somebody else down in Las Vegas. They couldnt always hear me but I could always here them. I'm only putting out about 45 watts. This was on the low side of channel 28.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've talked to the other side of the world befor while shooting skip. Talk to NY to Cal and Can to Mex all the time shooting skip. With out skip, probley 100 miles or so on sideband and 50 or so miles on AM. Haven't talked much on FM becouse not very meny people have that capability.

3. Sandman

I've got the AM but I never hear people on it either.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I still talk on AM every now and then. But alot more on sideband. FM is great for distance, but not everybody has it, and I'm not sure about the legalitys sence I don't have a ham ticket yet. But then again, the FCC really doesn't care aslong as you're not interfearing with any gov. or emerengecy agencies.

5. Sandman

The only people that I've ever seen the FCC check around here is the Railroads microwave setups and the radio stations.

6. wildchild

wildchild Newbie

well i am in ny and ive talked to cali on a numerious amount of times /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

Right now im pushing probably around 100 watts (I have a KL400 and I can only turn it on power level 2 out of 6 cause im running a K40 til I get my Wilson 1000) anyways, I have gotten local radio checks from up to around 50 miles away mobile to mobile. I am not SSB capable, so I dont get out on skip too often. I expect that with my new antenna, and being able to turn up the amp all the way, I will reach out quite a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

From Okc I've reached out to Ny, Ct, Fl, lots in Va and Wv, and Ky. From Cali reached out to Fl, Al, Ms, La, and Nc. From Oregon talked to CB shop in Okla. A couple of yrs ago while in New Mexico I suppossedly talked to a hand in New Zealand, his voice was convinceing, but the distance is/was hard for me to beleive. I'll let your mind wonder on that. 95% on am side. I would also like to talk to someone on FM, but have yet to find anyone at a distance. Most recent outreach was to Waterfront, Ny a couple of days ago. If you ever hear someone yelling out "Kamikaze from the sooner state" its me. I yell alot....

9. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

what kindo radios do youll have? i have always been interested in this stuff. i have a cb but it is old and small. and doesnt get me far.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On 145MHz ive talked 300+ miles on FM with 5 Watts going through repeaters. On 160 through 10 meters Ive talked to every contenent in the world. That includes the north and south poles, and virtually everything in-between (over 300 countrys). Yesterday morning on 21 MHz I talked with several European operators and several from Africa.

On 11 Meters...many years ago, it was Australia.

If you want to talk local and to your good buddies during road trips, CB is fine. If you want to talk around the world..consistantly, get your Amateur License. Its fun watching birds fly off your antenna when you key down with a Kilowatt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I Think the best ground wave contact I made was around 100 miles...But my best DXing was when I lived in guam Everyone and there dog wanted to talk to me cuz it's a very rare DX..Ive also made a simplex contact on VHF 145 MHZ of about 100 miles (i coudin't belive)...Here in my town we have a QSL club 27.385mhz on 11 meters..we have a wed site...just Type in COUNTRY OUTHOUSE QSL CLUB,,on any search engine it will bring you right there...page 3 of the hotwheels you can see my blazer and outher cars...

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I Think the best ground wave contact I made was around 100 miles...But my best DXing was when I lived in guam Everyone and there dog wanted to talk to me cuz it's a very rare DX..Ive also made a simplex contact on VHF 145 MHZ of about 100 miles (i coudin't belive)...Here in my town we have a QSL club 27.385mhz on 11 meters..we have a wed site...just Type in COUNTRY OUTHOUSE QSL CLUB,,on any search engine it will bring you right there...page 3 of the hotwheels you can see my blazer and outher cars...

[/ QUOTE ] My hame channel is the lowerside of 27.385 , My radio is on it right now. For pravite local conversations, we use 27.525 alot.