Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far out should I put my slip yoke?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Aug 10, 2006.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

So I finished my Auto to Manual swap (700r4-SM465), and now that I know that I did everythig right, I have to have my drive shaft lengthend. My old driveshaft was about 29.5" and I'm thinking that the new one should be about 31", but I'm not totally sure how much travel I should have in my slip yoke. I've got between a 4-5" lift and I'd like for the yoke to be almost fully compressed (?), inserted at full compression, so I'm thinking that at normal drive height it should be out about 1.5-2". What do you guys think?

2. bigredblzr

Oh, come on. Any feedback? How far out do you guys have 'em? Just looking for opinions here.

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I lenghtened mine to where it's sitting at 2". Havnt had any problems with it bumping or coming out.

:D

4. bigredblzr

How much lift do you have? 4"?

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I have a full 6", with a 14bff. The pinion on the 14b sticks out just a little further than the 10 bolts (if that is what you are running). When I first put my lift on, with the 10 bolt, I had about 4" sticking out on the yoke. I can't believe I drove it for a week like that. Speed bumps were scary. New driveshaft fixed it. I've had my rear at full drop with the 2", and at full drop I still have about 1 3/4" of the yoke in the slip. Never compressed it enough to get it to bump, but if I were to jump it, it might.

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

when I did mine I stuck the shaft on the yoke all the way and then pulled it out about an inch and measured from the end of the shaft to the pinion yoke. havent had any problems with it bumping but I have a lot of droop and not much compression.

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Half in- half out.

8. bigredblzr

Thanks guys. Yes, I have a 14bff, and I also have an ORD shackle flip, which I guess is pretty important too. The shackle flip should keep the arch of the rear axle while compressing/drooping in a realitive constantdistance from the t-case, so I am thinking that 1.5" should be plenty. Thanks agian guys!

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

1" to 1.25" is what the driveshaft shop told me when I got mine done.