Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how far over can you go on a 350

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 4xrick, Jan 31, 2004.

1. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

so I tore apart my 350 expecting to rebuild it and looking at the pistons they have a 40 on the top of them I havent measured the cylinders but i am thinking that means it has been bored .40 over before and you cand go much further than that without chancing it way too much am I right? also is the engine in a 88 going to have the same block I have a chance to get one but it is TBI but will the block be the same? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

blocks are the same, on the overage..... .090 is the VERY max you ever want to go, ..060 is the max i'd ever go.

3. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

so you guys think it would be safe to go .50 over?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

oh yeah....when i rebuild the one i'm doing, i'm going .060 over stock.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    so you guys think it would be safe to go .50 over?

[/ QUOTE ]
    1/2" overbore would probably not be safe /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Maybe .050" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just check to see if you can get pistons in that size first. You may only be able to find .030, .040 and .060 over pistons though.

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ive had a few 60 over 350s..with no trouble.....but 60 is max in most everyones opinion....

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The blocks are different from 1985 and earlier versus 1986 and later. The 1985 and earlier block uses a two piece rear main seal whereas the 1986 and later uses a one piece rear main seal.

8. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

ok so is the rer main seal the only difference can I use a carberator set up and intake on that engine? i cant see why not but I figure better safe than sorry

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

.060 over is a 360 SBC, with the right cam heads and intake that could be one thumpin plant.
    An 88 block will drop right in with your accy's.
    Except for the center bolt valve cover heads and the one peice rear main they are pretty much the same.
    You could take yer intake and stuff and drop it right in.
    Don't expect much in the power depot though. The cam and heads in TBI engines are pretty conservitive and the grind is more towards the TBI setup. Don't get me wrong TBI engines are ok I suppose. But realy they are just a glorified 2 barrel carb. With a cam and heads to match a 2 barel setup.
    A different cam and intake with headers would turn that mouse around though.
    An Ebrock performer cam and lifters is only $100 I believe.
    That with a performer intake would be like night and day if you ran it for a bit as is and then upgraded.
    If the heads on yer 350 are the 1.94 variety then I would definately swap them on and step up the cam a bit from the performer.
    The sweetest thing about SBC's is how many ways you can build them to match yer needs. Mine so happens to be I need more powrer Scotty.
    Not to mention they are cheap to build up. Well next to the cost of a BBC they are cheap.
    In a nutshell yes the 88 will drop right in and run.
    But add up the cost on rebuilding what ya have and making a reliable plant and the cost of making another work.
    I just scored a fresh 350 crate engine. stock as stock can be, but WTF it runs and runs well.
    Later on as I get the rest squared away I'll get the 2.02 heads done and redo all that . But for now a stock 350 will have to be better than the 305. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

well i think i am going to go ahead and use this block out of the 78 and put in a good cam and i have the edelbrock intake and carb so I am thinking of doing the cam and lifters too and using the vor tech heads so i can get some good power /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

How corroded was the inside? Was there alot or just minor etching?

12. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

there is some corossion but not a sh!t load im not to good at telling that this is the first engine I have ever torn apart so i dont really know what to compare it to why are you thinking of just cleaning them up? maybe in your busy schedule you could stop by for 5 minutes and take a look tell me what you think /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I got some stuff to do tomorrow. Hurt my back at work on Thursday /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm Ok now but damn! I'll give you a ring and come by /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

thats good because i will be here all day and i have a question to ask you about this honda im working on tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif