Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how far to backspace rims?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Nov 13, 2002.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

so im getting some hummer rims re-backspaced. and im thinking that as long as i can get em spaced how ever i want maybe i should get em backspaced a little less so i have a wider stance. i know that if i go to far it will break ball joints, but how far is to far? any thoughts? im gonna be running a 14 bolt and a dana 60(eventually).

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What size rims ???? 15x8 ???? 16x 10 ??? I like the really deap dish look !!!!!

3. ducttape114

there 16.5" by like 8.25" or somthing like that

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Overall width is 9.75, seat to seat width is 8.25. I wouldn't go any less than 3.5", but I like my tires under the fenders as much as possible. I'm getting my Hummer wheels in 4.25" BS. </font color>

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There are other things to consider when choosing backspacing. How much lift, what size tire and at full turn will it clear the steering box. If you are not planning to do something like 42" Swampers on 4" of lift then I would say you should be fine anywhere between 3 1/2" to 4 1/4".

6. ducttape114

im gonna run 37x12.5s right now. eventually i may run 38x15s but thats not for a while.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

with what lift?

I am stuck at 39.5's even though i want to go to 42's.

My steering bx with my current set up is just barely out of harms way. IIRC, stock BS is 3.25 i would go with that. If you want a wider stance, you can always get a wider tire. Some guys run 44's on a Hummer beadlock.

Ducttape, did you get these from USA6x6?

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

nm...i saw it in your profile! not used to ppl having it filled out so well, nice job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

With a 4" lift and 37's you will be fine with the 3.5" stock BS. if you go to 38's or more, your box might become vunerable. Do you ever plan to add more height?

It looks like 37's would be the ideal tire with your current set up.

9. ducttape114

i havent got them yet but yes i am going to get them from USA 6x6. i want to figure out EXACTLY what i want before i order them. $165 is cheap but id prefer to only spend it once. your stuck with 39.5s!! oh boo hoo!!!! i bet i could fit 39.5s if i removed the entire fender. i have no plans to add more height. but eventually i probably will. when these springs start to sag. im also planing on getting a set of the goodyear MTs from use 6x6 too. i have been waiting for a while for them too get more in stock. im exited /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif though, 37s on hummer bead locks!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif WHOOOO HOOO!!!!!

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

running the 37's i would stick to the stock BS.

So you will replace the suspension when it wears, and i assume you would go to 6" or so. I am able to run the 39.5's and 6" with stock BS. but lick i said earlier, it is close to the steering box.

I would stick with the factory 3.5 BS. or is it 3.25"? i can't rmemember. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

good luck! that oilburner of yours is gonna kick arse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif