Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far to go? Disassemble bare chassis?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thedrip, Feb 10, 2007.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

So as I'm unbolting the steering boix from my chassis, I start thinking... I'm really not all that far away from having two frame rails and a pile of cross members. The only thing left "bolted" to the frame are the engine mount towers, and hardlines (fuel/brake) running down the passenger frame rail. I found a few broken rivets in crossmembers, proof that my bare chassis will ramp a 450+. So now I'm thinking... I'm replacing some rivets, whats preventing me from completely disassembling my chassis, cleaning it real well, painting it, then bolting it all back together. I can get it close enough to straight. I'm not even trying to restore my truck, I'm just doing a lot of "common" swaps all at once. Trazer, 56's on front, gas -> diesel, 1 tons. So theres not a whole lot of the original truck left. Anyone go this far with a frame cleanup? =)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  2. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i'm headed in that direction myself.started with an '80 lwb p/u and some 3/4t. gear to replace the blown 12bolt.springs were broken(fell to pieces,except the main leaf,when i pulled the u-bolts.went on a spring search and found a new set for $75...still on a k-5 frame.so i bought the springs and got the frame and 12b/d44 flat top knuckle free,when i had the frame brought to me,he took all my scrap and even torched the rear k-5 spring hangers,and the front rear hangers off the p/u for my homebrew shackle flip.the cab that was going on the k-5 frame is complete toast(repairable for someone with body,sheetmetal experience)so i'm saving my change to buy a souther cab/front clip instead.while i'm waiting on that,i'm going to sand and paint the frame,re-plumb brake/fuel lines,install new bushings every where,do the shackle flip,paint the d60r/d44f.that will keep me busy and provide the needed patience til i get the body.i'm picking up some doors from an '87 k-5 later this week(100% rust free,all power)for $70 for the pair.SCORE!!!good luck on your project.