Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far to move it back?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Oct 19, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its just about time to start tearing into the truck for "winter mods". One thing I am going to do is put in a set of 56" springs in the back. I want to move the axle back to improve wheel base and departure angle but not to sure how far back would be just right. I have a zero rate in the rear so I can run the springs fowards and move it back 1 or 1.5 inches, or i could run the springs reversed and have the axle pushed back 4 inches, or 3, and 2.5 with the zero rate going one way or 5 and 5.5 with it going the other way. What do you guys think?

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

where is your gas tank?? if your gas tank isnt in the stock location or you dont mind moving it id save reverse the 56'' and have the zero rate move them back another 1.5'' try to get as much departure angle and wheelbase as you can. ur probably gonna need a longer d-shaft.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

ive mounted my 63's using the stock front hanger and moved the rear hanger all the way to the back of the frame. got about 5.5 inches of wheel base, and will require the gas tank to be moved. it might could clear a 10 bolt but not a 14. also, the way that my 63's are mounted, i dont think that i gained much if not anything in departure angle. but would prob. be alot better with 56's

lots of cutting will be needed to give the tires room to move at this point. (5.5 inches back).

if you dont want to cut too much i would try to stay around 1.5-2.5 inches.

[​IMG]

thats what mine looks like in the back with 5.5 inches back. sorry for the pic quality, but thats all i've got right now.

ryan

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Post up a side shot of your truck. I know it's gotta be functional but it has to look cool too :D

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

this is the only other one ive got right now

the lighting in here stinks.

[​IMG]

found another. heres where i plan on cutting more or less.

[​IMG]

ryan

6. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

your departure angle is terrible.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

its not that bad just as good as stock, will get better with bigger tires, prob gonna switch my three leaf 63's for a set of four leaf 63's or a set of 2" TC 63's and prob a shorter shackle. still figuring it out.

ryan