Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How far would you drive for a Dana 60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Deep into the Kootenay's of BC... lies a rusty truck... pulled out from the weeds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I go up and get it and bring it back, I will have driven about 400 miles... not that far, but slow going since the roads aren't exactly large Freeways.

How far would you go?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where in the kootenay's did you go?

3. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I drove 1500 miles round trip for 2 at a really good price

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I drove just over 700 miles round trip for mine.

5. mountainexplorer

I have some pics from the drive here: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135787

Went up to a town called Nakusp, BC. I kept pronouncing it "Naykusp", until I finally figured out everyone was calling it "Nuh-Kusp".

I was excited when I say signs saying $0.96 at gas stations. I figured that was a bargain even in Canadian dollars. The I finally figured out it was measured in liters... or "litres".

This as I'm driving about 88... kilometers per hour that is. Once I learned to watch my metric part of my speedometer, then I had to also calculate my speed difference since the Black K5 did have 3.73's and 29" tires from the factory and now it has 33's and 3.42 gears.

My brain was all messed up by the end of the day trying to do math conversions, and breathing in gas fumes from my spare gas container that doesn't seal right. Only number I cared about verifying though was "60". :grin:

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i drove.... oh.... 5 miles round trip.... but if the price was right... i would do about 300 miles one way.
    Grant

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go very far..........
    :laugh:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I thought it was closer to me.
    Nice place...
    How many litres are in a gallon? haha sounds like quite an adventure experiencing Candian ways of life... :grin:

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

At this point in my search I'd drive 1000 miles if I could find one un $500 :xmas:

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

So how much did you get it for? :D

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I drove 4 whopping miles round trip to get my D60. I have driven alot farther for other parts, though. Like a 12+ hour round trip to South Central PA to pick up a dirt cheap locked 14 bolt. Or an 8 hour round trip to W. PA to get a free 465/205 combo as well as some blazer seats. It just depends.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not sure on the exact mileage... prolly 3-400 total round trip. I would have driven double that for a good deal. Nuttin better than da 60. :grin:

j

13. mountainexplorer

Not the best deal I ever got... but I gave $1400 (US) for the entire truck.

It has been sitting for at least 5 years, and the body is totally shot. It has a 454 that ran good when it was parked (probably needs to be rebuilt by now, or I'm sure at least the valve seals are dried up), SM465/NP205, Dana 70 Dually rear and Dana 60 front set up to run regular rims (SRW 60 front) with 4.10 gears.

I love the Canadian accent. Even the guy's last names that I met just seem so pure Canadian... Stafford and Bushby.

I still havent figured out litres per gallon, and the Canadian gallon is different than a US gallon too... so I have some calculating to do. All I know is that it ended up not being cheaper than here in the US.

At the border I got asked the regular questions...

-Where do you live?
    -What do you do?
    -What is your business here?
    -Are you carrying any firearms/alcohol/weapons?
    -How long will you be here for?
    -Do you have over $10000 in currency with you?
    -Where is this from? (as she pointed to clumps of mud on the Blazer)
    -This is from your driveway?
    -Why do you have so many keys?
    -How many cars do you own? (in response to my response from previous question)

14. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I got my D60, 14b, and 205 about 10 miles from home. All in the same place.

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I drove 15 miles for my first one...
    3 miles for my Hp60...
    5 Miles for my dually 60.

I'm lucky to be in a farm town. :D :D

16. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, since I have the one I need (I drove about 200 miles round trip for mine) it would probably depend on the price of the 60. I would probably drive somewhat far for a really good price.

There is one just down the road from me.. but I'm still waiting to see what he wants to do with it. It's an 89-91 V3500 SRW, that has a 454 that's shot. I may get it for cheap.. we'll see. If he wants too much for the truck, then I'll pass .. if it's not cheap enough to make easy money on.. then it won't be worth my time. I don't want to drop the money, to just come out even.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not far for me!

I guess I'm lucky--there are 3 huge salvage yards only about 3 miles away from my house,and one of them has a Dana 60 sitting under a K30 dump truck,just begging for a new owner!--and I bet it can be had for less than 500 bucks too,but its not going to be there long,judging by the number of trucks they have scrapped the past few months..the other 2 places likely have at least 1 of them too no doubt..but you have to act quickly here if you see something you want!

I went to the bank to get 500 bucks to buy an 82 K10 with a 6.2,4 speed overdrive manual tranny,motor was a "red" painted one,freshly rebuilt,and a NP241 T-case---it was 2 feet high when I got back there with the money--the guy at the counter was on the phone when I left--didn't hear me when I said"I'll be back"--so they assumed I didnt want it,and squashed it... :angry1: :angry1:

18. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Umm so ive mostly worked on cars and not 4x4's to this point. Whats a Dana 60? Yes i know its an axle. But whats so special about it? How do you identify them? What were they origionally on? Thanks, and please dont make to much fun of me

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

A dana 60 is a very strong 1 ton front axle. Desired by many for its capabilty to handle huge tires.

And btw,

A Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres

A U.S gallon is 3.73 litres

Or at least in that general vicinity.

20. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

But whats so special about it?
    Like what was mentioned, great for running larger tires... especially if "locked" up front. The axle shafts are large, with the inner having 35 splines, and outters having 30. They will pretty much bolt right into a K5 or sub, that didn't orig come with them.

How do you identify them?
    At a glance, they ony have 3 U bolts. On the pass side spring perch there will be one, and the other side of the same perch has two bolts that thread into the perch. Looking closely, you will find a D60F on the webbing facing forward.

What were they origionally on?
    1 ton GM trucks (although Dodge & Ford used them too). SRW = single rear wheel, DRW = dual rear wheel. Most people look for SRW, but DRW can be great if you plan to use H1 wheels. DRW can be converted to SRW, but it's a little pricey.

Thanks, and please dont make to much fun of me
    No problem