Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How fast is your acceleration?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 29, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

They had a 4x4 race today in my area... I thought it was going to be a mud race, but it was just a dirt drag. So I didn't enter since everything of mine is slow. I just watched.

Some of those rigs really move! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

How are your trucks on acceleration and/or speed?

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

my 72 smoked a 5.0 mustang before. Shoulda seen the look on his face. Once I get her rolling, about 35 mph, its got a TON of power. Never timed it but I'd say maybe 6.5-7 seconds 0-60 and a low 15 in the 1/4.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

On a good day I've gone 0-60 in about 6 or 7 seconds and 4 gallons of gas

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On a good day I've gone 0-60 in about 6 or 7 seconds and 4 gallons of gas

[/ QUOTE ]

mines 0-60 in about 5.9 MINUTES!!!

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm... 0-60... About 18 seconds and 3.5 gallons of gas /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

But my truck weighs 8k pounds and is shaped like a brick... Not to mention the 40" tires...

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

once mine gets going..(sometimes it will stutter..im ganna try some STP fuel cleaner) but once mine gets passed first gear mine will rip i swear!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I dont realy know how fast my truck is but all i know is that it goes where i point it and it gets 22mpg, and thats about all i car about /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Now my dads 57 bell air on the other hand will do a 1/4mile in 10.75 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

As well as acceleration, how about your launch?

Of course, almost all the rigs I saw today were automatics... and everything I have is a manual. I'm always worried about burning up a clutch disc, so I always take it easy at a starting line, making sure the clutch has disengaged fully... but that always kills my launch time. Most guys I saw today just jumped off the line and were flying down the 150' dirt track in no time.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i always take it easy there to...i give mine the gas slowly rather than slaming it..

10. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Im in the middle of a conversion now, bought a 79 Blazer with a 427 and calculated topspeed on it was around 130 mph. And it has the power to make it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Switching engines now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i can get 0-60 in abuot 6? seconds....
    ive rarely lost at the local stop light 1/4's...
    never had it above 80mph tho....when i had my truck i got it up to about 85-90 and i just got this weird feeling of it just falling apart so it spooks me now, lol

thing about mine is...either the engine is weak or the tires are good cause ive never spun them...mfer just takes off

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

0 to 60... Yes.

13. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

on the contrary with mine,0-60......no /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

My trucks a POS but my friends 72 which he's built as a putry mall cruiser is probably in the mid to high 14's. He can light up the tires at will. I was really impressed.

Mike

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

0-60? prolly about 30 seconds... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

j

16. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

My truck WAS fast when i had 35's on it I would take it to the 1/8 mile dirt track and race against my buddys. I never lost a race. one time i ran against a 92 toyota with a v6 that truck will move on the street so i thought i was goin to lose but i smoked him in 2 hi Then he ran 4 hi me in 2 hi I still won And then he ran 4 low i was still in 2 hi because my tcase is broke I ran the entire track sidewase trying to keep her strait but i still won it was sweet
    but now I am running 38's well right now i am running nothing because i smoked the tranny so needless to say it isn't real fast right now

17. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My truck WAS fast when i had 35's on it I would take it to the 1/8 mile dirt track and race against my buddys. I never lost a race.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now Now don't lie I know of two trucks that out ran yours without trying real hard a black short box and an old deciced brown beast /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifAny way havent talked to you in a while. I didnt realize you where on here,.
    Joe

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have no idea how fast mine is, it gets and goes. I really really need a new rear, 2.73 gears are holding her back BIG time from liek 0-45. I did a test for a friend when we went for a drive, from 35 I wad doing 55 in about 100 yards, and 65 within another 100 yards and about 75 within 75 yards of that. I need gears like you couldn't believe. Soon I hope. I really hope to take it to a track this summer, hoping for a mid 14, figure shame a few ricers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

19. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

as far as launching, my luv will try its hardest to pick up the left front in first and second (its funny huh). But hwen my f-150 was running the 300-6 in it would lift the left front tire a good 1-2" off the ground.

20. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Um, fast enough? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Okay, never fast enough! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I kept up with some old guy in a Ford 4x4 with a 460 the other night! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I raced my buddy's newer BMW 327i and we were dead even at about 6 or 7 lights. When i'd stall it up at the light before it turns green to get a faster launch, I'd jump out and stay ahead of him. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I hear those commercials claiming "BMW 0-60 in under 7 seconds, now thats not bad". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But i know my truck is slow.
    I raced my buddy's '72 K5 set up exactly like mine but with a 383 race motor that his friend built up.. The engine builder claimed the same exact same engine with some nitrous would stand his nova up straight on the back bumper... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    That Blazer raced a car that ran high 13's and spanked it a couple times in a row! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    With a 4" lift and 33's he could get it sideways smoking the tires on demand. Stuffed it in 4 low on the street and i swear the front end came up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Talk about a thrill!