Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How fast ya been?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Opened up the 84 for the first time with the new engine. Just wanted to see how fast it would go. Got up to 114 mph (GPS verified) before the rippling hood scared me enough to back off. Still had LOTS of engine left! Yes I know this is really stupid and no I dont have special 32" Z rated tires. Just wondering what the land speed record for a street K5 is. Luke

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah the shakin' hood told me to back off from 95. The gauge is off 10 mph, so right when it hits 85 on the speedo it's really 95. Not doing that anymore...

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i have had my 78 at 203kph, i was 17 at the time. but i was also on the down slope of a bridge. i remember it because i got a ticket, the cop was on the other side and clocked me. when he told me my speed i didnt believe him so he showed me the reading. i was amazed. never did and never will do it again, too scary.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. pregate

pregate Registered Member

when im in a rush on an open freeway i commonly get it up to 100..
    last night (just turned 17, at 1:30 am.. little rush on me) it went about 10 degrees past the hundred mark, donno how fast that is

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

What's even more dangerous than driving at 100mph[​IMG]? Taking a picture with one hand and driving with the other[​IMG]. It was a very exciting moment, but I promise I'll never do it again.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Multicity (your yourname.coloradok5.com host) doesn't allow you to view pics outside of your site. That's why the picture didn't show before.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Hey Blazer79,

I can't see the pic........but I want to !!!

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG] 105 mph, no OD, 4" lift and 35" tires. I was goofing around with a buddy from work on the way home. I work nights so we don't get off until 2 AM. He's got a Ford 4x4 and I had to show him up.
    We finally started to catch up to a car in the slow lane which ended our 'fun', I took my foot off of the floor and almost ate the windsheild from the compression braking (I have a 4 speed) [​IMG]
    I was surprised at how steady it was at that speed though, I expected a hair raising ride and was quite surprised at how smooth and steady it was. Still, I've done it once and once is more than enough.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Been 164 mph, new vette, Montana hiway, still had 2 gears left (5spd od,) a cross wind started to blow, and had to back it down. I was younger then also.

9. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

In the blazer, 85 was about it. Worried about tires coming apart. Now absolute speed...159 on a Ninja, Scary! 147-150 a bunch of times heading into turn one and turn three on the track with a NASCAR super late model where speed is everything!

10. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

ive done 85mph with a gear left. sm465 4-speed 2.73 rear and mild 350. dont know what i can do after that only have that stock 85 mph speedo. its also hard to find a place to go that fast in the city

11. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

So let me guess ... You guys trying to give SUVs a bad name? How many times you gonna do this before you or somebody innocent dies?

Just a concerned old sage!

12. tRustyK5

Actually I think "SUV" is a bad name for what I drive. [​IMG]
    I know it was not the most PC or responsible thing to do, about as mature as doing burnouts [​IMG]. Then again I did it in the middle of the night on a deserted freeway, once.
    I don't advocate it, or even suggest that what I did was right, but I'm not going to hang my head in shame either.[​IMG]
    You can't tell me you've never done something stupid and laughed about it later Bob, we all have.
    Thanks for the reminder that as a community of 4x4 owners we tend to be under the microscope, and we should'nt be promoting unsafe behavior in any vehicle.

Rene

[​IMG]

13. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I know what I did was not too bright. Will I do it again? Sure will. Always run out new trucks or new additions. I got mine up to speed on a straight, flat, in the middle of nowhere road. I was alone and sober. The way I see it its my life and my truck.

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I get up to 85 a lot, but many times the traffic is going 80 when its really light. I've probably gone a lot faster, just don't know it

90K5

15. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

So Cavalry, what have you done to your engine? I haven't had my Blazer over 85 or 90 I don't think. I used to have a CJ-7 with a verrrrry built 401 though. It was on 36's with about 8 inches of lift, but I was still retarded enough to push it past 100. With 4.56 gears and a locker, it was more suited to stop light racing.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

16. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Yes ... I suppose I've done some really stupid stuff in my day. Yet, lately seen too much blood , guts, head trauma and torn up families by young guys coming into the ER.

Sold my motorcycle long time ago and got rid of the sooped up camero. Learned to ski and mountain bike ... talk about a rush.

Just be careful out there.

Rene ... ever thought about politics? You handled that very diplomatically.

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah mountain biking is awesome. I went this weekend and there was this dry lake near us with a big drop off probably 60-70 degrees and we were all riding off it. What a rush!!!

90K5

18. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

73K5.... I just put in a GM 350HO. My buddy has a 85 K1500 shortbox with a ZZ4. We weigh the same,same tranny tires etc. You cant really feel or see that $1000 for 25 extra horse anywhere. Luke

19. tRustyK5

Me? Politics? Whoa big fella![​IMG][​IMG]
    Musta caught me on a good day!
    What else can I say other than this medium is fairly one dimensional and doesn't allow for body language, facial expression or even tone of voice. We also have the luxury of editing what we are saying before 'posting' it.
    Just think how polished and diplomatic a real politician could be with this format.
    I've also been called out a few times for being a bit harsh with some of my reponses recently (thanks 1HIHUM) and am trying to be a bit more mellow[​IMG]

Rene (I'll stick to fabricating thanks[​IMG])

[​IMG]

20. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status