Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How fast you running through U-Joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Need to replace my rear U-Joint after 14,000 miles. Is this normal? Truck suspesion is totally stock, no lift.

Just put in new rear leaf springs and the rig has about 150,000 miles on it.

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

eric - are you pre-greasing? and what brand joint? jess

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A common cause for this is not pumping new grease all the way through the joint following installation. Apparently, some brands use a grease that isn't really intended to be used long term, just for assembly.

Plus, you should pump 'em again every other oil change or so, depending on your useage.

If you're not having any driveline vibrations, then that is my best guess.

What kind of failure did you experience?

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One other possibility that I learned the major league hard way [​IMG].........out on a trail the day after I changed my u-joints wrong. When you change them (or whoever changed them for you) they have to be "seated" right (and of course lubed as the guys said) or they will wear out quick. If you did the install yourself, make sure the u-joints are moving freely, if they aren't, tap them with a soft blow hammer until they free up.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com