Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How full should the differential fluid be?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Nov 9, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I assume that I would want to fill it to the edge of the drain bolt. I just want to make sure I have enought fluid before I drive it. thanks.

2. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

There is a drain bolt(bottom of diff) and a fill bolt on the center section of the diff at middle. Might be all dirty and hard to find just scrape around and you will find it. Fill the diff from that hole and when it come out you know its full.

3. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Pretty much all gear containers from Transaxles, TCases and Diffs are supposed to be filled until fluid drips out of the fill hole. Of course, it's usually assumed that the container is level, which isnt always easy in a driveway, or even a garage with a slight slope for drainage purposes.

I like to raise the vehicle a LITTLE bit to ensure that if I err on the fill level, I err to the side of slightly overfull vs underfull - this varies from container to container.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if you run a CV shaft, I've found that you need to fill almost half a quart more than stock, simply due to the axle tilt. CAnt hurt, the extra will just poof out of the vent tube anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif