Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How good are the Diesels....read and find out...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OFFRDK5, Mar 26, 2001.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK. I just got back from the MWSK5T (Midwest Spring K5 Thing) that Mudzer has put on and the Diesel just makes me happy. You wanna know HOW good the Diesel is...well...here ya go.

First rule that should be addressed is that when crossing water that is deep....do not go fast. I broke this rule. You got it...HYDROLOCK!! It was locked up good. Wouldn't even crank over. Now I think any gasser engine would have self distructed at this point. Nope...Diesel still ready. Had to pull all the glow plugs (Thanks Tyler and Arkansas!!) Wouldn't even crank over then. Got underneath in the goo. HAND CRANK. It finally turned over and from below I could hear people going "Holy SH!T" cuz there was that much water in it. The more experienced people there guessed that my 6.2 ltr had about 6 ltr of water in it. Think that Diesel will ever die...NO. Got in and cranked it...it cranked and cranked. The water was out. Put the glow plugs back in. Would you guess it fired right up??!?!? Now thats an engine!! There is no water in my oil...and it still flys down the road. Now you tell me what kinda engine can take that abuse, be hydrolocked, cranked while hydrolocked, start afterward, and then still do two days worth of hard trail riding without a hitch!!

Now its time for me to goto bed....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Thats the problem with those damn 6.2s, they never die, they just run worse. I tried like hell to blow mine up before I finally sold it as a running builder.

Glad to hear your motor's OK.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Last Sunday I was driveing through the edges of some big puddles(Only about 12-18 inches of water where I was actually driving in). Waahoooo! Well after a few times of driving through this little stuff I descided i would try to drive through the center of this big puddle figuring it couldn't be more that 2 - 2/12 feet deep, BIG MISTAKE, I get about 15 feet into the puddle and then all of a sudden it just dropped off into about 4 1/2 feet of water and sure enough it sucked water into my intake and stalled. After a friend pulled me out I tried to turn it over but it wouldn't turn over so I figured it was Hyrolocked and remembering this post that SK-15 wrote so I pulled my glow plugs and tried to turn the engine over it wouldn't crank so I figured that the starter had water in it so I took off the stater shook the water out of it, put it back on and it finally turned over spraying water out the glow plug holes. (Note: If you ever do this remember to unhook the wire from your fuel injector so you don't spray water and diesel fuel all over!) Then I put the glow plugs back in and started it up and played around some more! I do however need to change the oil(water in it) and may have blown the gasket on the passenger side of my engine. Plus there is a new ticking noise comming from the engine. I wish I had a camera or camcorder when I opened the passenger door and all the water flowed out.

Thanks SK-15 for writing this post.

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

I overhauled already three diesel engines and I must say I was surprised. All burned water and so I removed the heads. All were torn, but nevertheless had no loss their power.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

SK-15 also blew a rod out the side of the block a few months later from that incident /forums/images/icons/smile.gif A know a guy who hydro locked his 4.0 jeep twice within two months, and the motor still lasted a fewmonths after that. Then it threw a rod.

6. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

So do you think I should just rebuild(depending on the damage) or buy a new engine?
    After driving it around now I suspect one of my rods is pretty beat up.

7. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

You guys got real lucky. When I hydrolocked my 6.2 it bent everything. It even broke the crank. It didn't help i was upwards of 3500rpms when it locked. There is a good reason for a snorkel.

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would rebuild it now, or wait till it blows and buy a 6.5 from GM and get a 3yr/50,000 mile warranty /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow...a post about me and I am asleep at the wheel....

One of my rods was bent and eventually took out a valve which took out an engine.
    If you want to know how to build a snorkel...look at the Fall Potosi Run and take a look at mine. No more water for that Diesel!!! its made out of 4" PVC pipe. Cut out a chunk of my grille and knocked out the thingy there. removed all of the current air system. I had a 45 deg bend and took a 4" to 3" rubber converter (find at yer local parts store aound the drainage parts, like fer yer house) and put the 3" on the air breather and made the PVC work. At the grille I put a female connector and made a separate 90 deg and a few feet of PVD to get it in the air...I guess I need to take pics of it and show it to ya'll....

Laters

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

where do i look at the potosi run, i dont see anything under trip reviews.

11. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

That would rock tell me when you get your pics done. I just blew the head gasket on the passengers side so I get to start tearing into it today. Waaaaaaaaahooooooooooo!
    Once I have the heads off I am going to have a valve job done on them as well. Then will yank the oil pan and replace the rear main seal thats been leaking like crazy for a while as well as replacing my water pump that just started leaking. Also think I will do a visual of my rods and the berrings might even replace my oil pump for the heck of it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif fun stuff. Snorkel sure would have helped but now I have an excuse to work on it.