Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how good is a gov-loc for a 14bff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy427, Apr 16, 2004.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I want to know how good they hold up in a 14bff application. I havent heard good things about the 10 bolt versions but i also have never used 1 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've never heard about a gov-lock in a 14 bolt blowing up and taking the carrier with it. Usually when people have complaints about gov-locks in their 14 bolts, it's because they stopped working properly, not that they grenaded.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Guy here blew his up every hunting trip. Went to a detroit and no more problems.

He was hauling a heavy load through the mountains.

4. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Guy here blew his up every hunting trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright then...forget my previous post. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Usually when people have complaints about gov-locks in their 14 bolts, it's because they stopped working properly, not that they grenaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. My friend TJ's is really allowing lots of wheelspin now compared to when he first got his 14b . Must be wearing parts are shot. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Aren't they rebuildable? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have no idea how, or where to get parts, but it should be rebuildable. I have looked in a manual from the army I found online, they just remove and replace the carriers though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Usually when people have complaints about gov-locks in their 14 bolts, it's because they stopped working properly, not that they grenaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. My friend TJ's is really allowing lots of wheelspin now compared to when he first got his 14b . Must be wearing parts are shot. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup exactly right, i am very dissapointed in the performance that my Gov-Loc unit is doing, it slips waaaay too much now, and it doesn't even help when i hold the brake, still slips, almost acts like an open diff now. really sucks.

Next on the list, is a Detroit locker for the rear, and probably a quick-loc for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The major problem with the C14FF version of the gov lock is that it is a bit unpredictable. You have to actually have one tire spinning significantly faster than the other, at which time it locks in (sometimes) rather violently. Holding the brake should have no effect other than to help prevent the differentiation that would have locked it. Not what you want for more moderate or harder rock crawling, but generally fine for dirt, mud, sand and such...

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

IIRC the 14FF gov-loc need a 100RPM wheel speed difference to engage completely, hence the violent reputation it has. Yes there are rebuild kits (I don't know where to get them, never really needed one -> read detroit) all of the military 14FF had detroits so I doubt they publised anything real usefull. If a 5/4 ton CUCV has a busted rear it needs to be replaced (nature of a detroit with a GI behind the wheel).

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a gov lock in my 14BFF and it works OK, but only locks completely when I'm going strait. It will one leg if I am already turning and then decide to hammer on it. It is probably pretty much worn out but as long as I have strait forward posi then I'm happy.

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Aren't they rebuildable? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are. I've seen the clutch packs on eBay for pretty cheap at around $50 for everything. I had the part numbers for them once but don't know where they're at now. There are 2 packs, one for right and left side. They are pretty much clutch packs, thats all.

14. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Well.... i maybe getting my hands on 1 ,but was unsure if it was goin to hold up.I do still drive the truck on the street but would really like a locker .I have a powertrax in my chevelle but that doesnt get driven all the time.and i have never used a detroit but i kow there reputation.SO what im getting about a the gov lock is that in a 14 bolt when there good Its ok ,they do wear out to the point of excessive slippage but they dont explode like there 10 bolt counterparts.So thats good. Im just not sure how long a used one is goin to last. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifjust gonna have to play the cards i guess.

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never heard about a gov-lock in a 14 bolt blowing up and taking the carrier with it. Usually when people have complaints about gov-locks in their 14 bolts, it's because they stopped working properly, not that they grenaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I killed one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

only took me 2 months, One day click click drove for a couple weeks then boom and she was spent, so I pulled the shaft and drove home on the front, then the front shaft went..that was a fun day /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif