Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How good is your oil filter (link to pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74Chev, Mar 2, 2005.

1. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anymore, I just run Wix. That's what the local parts house carries.

3. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

We did disect one Wix. Great quality, silicone rubber anti drainback valve. Saw no problems with their design.

4. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Napa Gold, best filter around.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I've ran Fram since they've had that grippy stuff on the ends... Maybe I'll go Napa from here on out...

7. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    That is what I will be running on my k5 in about 3 days.
    Thanks
    Adam

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe you could provide a little commentary about what is being shown in the pictures??

I saw some loose filter material on one, but the rest just look like oily cut-up filters... I never looked inside a filter before, so I'm not sure what they are SUPPOSED to look like! :cool1:

9. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You're right, FRAM sucks! I have a friend that works in a Dyno shop (he's about 60 years old and has been racing since he was young) and he was telling me that the fram filters can plug up, and in race engines with no oil bypass they lose oil pressure. But in a stock engine then you will just be bypassing the oil filter and not filtering anymore. Fram is horrible for this, he's seen it numorous times. He says they won't let customers use Fram filters on the dyno anymore. Good ole' AC Delco was one of the best filters that have used he said. They even recommend them on a lot of the race engines. I have never used anything but Delco. :)

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad runs a circle track car and they have no oil filter bypass either.

Any filter "plugs up" and results in loss of oil pressure. They change the filter every night, and they run the gold napa filters. Towards the end of the evening, the difference in oil pressure is noticeable from when they start. I wouldn't blame that on Fram. If it came apart I would.

Oil breakdown/heat is probably also an issue, pretty hard to measure/quantify this stuff though, at least at our level.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont use fram because of some bad experiences I have personally had with them. I have had them fall apart like in the pics shown. And their anti drain back valves do not work. I have an oil cooler on my K5 Usually when I change a filter the oil in the cooler drains out when I remove the filter. Once I was pressed for time and had to do a quickie oil change before a trip. Closest store was K mart where I bought a fram. later when it was time to change the oil again I pulled the fram. Hardly any oil drained out when I unscrewed the filter. This was only a short time after I let the truck set to cool it down enough to change the oil. The POS Fram was letting all the oil in my system drain back to the crankcase giving me dry starts. I will never use a fram again those filters are painted Hazzard Orange for a reason.
    Even Cheapo Walmart Tec 2000 filters are built better than fram

12. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

13. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

The cardboard/glue endcaps on both Frams were disentigrating and brittle with pieces missing. Note all of the holes in the media where it actually pushed through the center tube.

Basically I was just trying to show the differences between the filters out there and that some of the big advertisers dont necessarily make the best filters.

14. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know what you mean all oil filters can collect debris and get more restrictive. However, the fibers in the element of the Fram filter can block flow and cause 0 oil pressure on some even when they are brand new. They have had several brand new Fram filters have zero oil pressure on the dyno. They have NEVER had an AC Delco filter plug up, even after use. They have disected several kinds and Fram is poor quality and design. Fram is owned by Honeywell(Allied Signal), I work for Honeywell, and I still say don't use Fram filters. They are poor quality overadvertised junk.

15. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think about the K&N oil filters? I know some people here don't like their air filters, but I haven't heard and commentary on the oil filters. I run it partly cause I like the wrench nut on the end, so I don't have to use one of those useless oil filter wrenches if it gets put on too tight.

16. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That's what I put on last time, went to the Zone and saw that wrench nut and having just used the old BFH and screwdriver technique to remove the old one I went with the K&N for ease of removal more than anything.

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I used to use Fram until a mechanic advised me that the valve tick I was hearing at startup was caused by the crummy Fram filters I was using. Heck, my engine used to tick for at least 5 seconds on every cold start up.

Since that day I have I have run ACDelco filters exclusively on the truck. That was about 9 years ago, and I haven't had any cold-start valve tick since.

18. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

K & N does not make their oil filters. A company named Champion Laboratories does. They also make STP, Lee, Bosch, Motorcraft, Delco, Mobil 1 and many other private name label oil filters. The K & N oil filter is of excellent quality and is probably one of the best out there now that AC has shipped several of their part #'s off shore. The Mobil 1 is nearly identical to the K & N filter but uses a synthetic fiber filtering media, which is said to catch more particles. Either one would be a good choice and of course the Wix is a great filter, also sold as Napa gold.

19. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Wow, I did something right for once (even if it's just an oil filter), even without spending hours researching it first. :woot: Thanks for the info.

20. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status