Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard are rear bearings to change?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Nov 14, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I lost my book, but I am just wondering how difficult would the rear bearing be to change. I have done front and that is pretty easy. at a glance i am not seeing how to get past the back plate of the brakes. Any info would be great. I will buy the book this week.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if you have a press, EASY. if you don't, still not too bad but it will take MUCH longer.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

From your profile I assume you have stock 10B axles and that you mean rear wheel bearings. (I don't know how a press will really help)
    You have to remove the diff cover, pull the cross pin, pull the c-clips, and pull the axle shafts. Then you just about need a 3 arm slide hammer to pull the bearings out of the axle housing. It is kind of a pain - but you get faster everytime you do it. The book will help. You can also check out www.autozone.com and look at their repair guides.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

You can rent a slide hammer at O'Reilly's or Autozone, that is about the only special tool you need. They are easy to install in a 10 bolt (If that's what you have) Take the back cover off remove the pin that holds the C-clip in for the offending axle, remove the brake drum & axle, remove the seal, the bearing cleanup & do everything in reverse! Piece of cake! Good luck!

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

10 and 12 bolt wheel bearings are cake, 45 minute job, tops.. pull the cover, pull the cross pin bolt, pull the cross pin, push the shaft in, slide the cclip off, pull the wheel/drum/axle shaft out/off, remove the seal with a seal puller, and remove the bearing with a couple good shots from a slide hammer, install new wheel bearing with bearing installer or a 2x4 and a hammer, install new seal with bearing installer or 2x4 and hammer, reinstall axle shaft/drum/wheel, install c clip, cross pin and cross pin bolt, reseal cover, install cover, fill with fluid