Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard from power to manual windows?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by little79k5, Aug 5, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

my power window motors are getting old and tired. i myself prefer manual windows over power. how hard is it to convert to manual? i was checking out the LMC catalog and it looks pretty simple. im planning on new doorpanels anyway, so the cutout for the handle is no problem. thanks

keith /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude, thats what i did. just one less thing to go wrong. harness unplugs under the dash. i didnt do the actual motor to crank swap over but i believe it is all a bolt in process. i did do the door panel part myself, and all i had to swap out is a trim piece(at least on my years's anyways.) now, no one can tell. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif you may want the actual process done by a professional cause it is really tight inside the door besides sharp ! im a big guy and my arm doesnt fit in there very well. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Shouldn't be too difficult to do the swap, I'd probably look for someone parting out a truck, with crappy doors, but that still have good manual window mechanisms. Grab one or the pair cheap, and tear one down to see how they go together. I have a feeling the "scissor assembly" (regulator?) has to come all the way out, and of course you'll need the window cranks.

Don't cut the harness for the power windows though, people typically want those harnesses, and they unplug anyways from under the dash.

4. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

WARNING!!!! I just want to warn you guys on one thing before you take those regulators out. I have done YEARS of maintenance on every part of a vehicle and have done some stupid unsafe stuff in the past, but I was being extremely careful last month while changing the regulator out and it snapped out of spring and WHAMO! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif like dyeager535 implies with his "scissor" remark. It caught my thumb and I received a severed tendon, 8 stitches in the top of the thumb and 3 on the underside and I am still going through physical therapy to try to get use out of my thumb.

So BE CAREFUL and just be aware that this stuff can happen. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif