Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard is a tranny swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Feb 2, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i was looking at a a 1980 chevy shortbed 4x4 that was rust free w/ great interior..but it needs tranny work..i dont know the details on what it needs..but if worse came to worse..how hard is a tranny swap generally? and how much would it cost to have done at a shop?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know your skill level but its not too hard, a tranny Jack makes it Much much easier also a garage floor makes it a lot easier as well, ive done it in my driveway with a few friends, also did it in gravel, let me tell in the gravel it is ridicoulsly uncomfortable, It would be good to have somone around who has done it before, You have to get the torque converter to seat all the way back there is a notch it has to fit into, a tranny shop would prolly Rape you

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my dads a mechanic so he could help me..its just that i think hes at his whits end with me and my trucks and there problems..i already have these two blazers sitting here i need to get rid of...he would probobly tell me to forget the whole thing anyway lol..

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Easy job, you will need a trans type jack that will attach to your floor jack. You can either drop the trans-transfer case in one chunck or split them and pull them out one at a time. I have also used a engine hoist, removed the plate in the tunnel for the four speed shifter wrap a chain around the trans, remove the flywheel to torque converter bolts, the transfercase cross member and dopped the whole unit using the engine hoist. get a buddy or two to help guide it out. Also 80 pickups use a turbo 350c trans that use a lock up converter. I swapped mine for a regular turbo 350 so I did not have to run that crappy lock up converter. It never seemed to work right anyway.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A tranny swap isn't that difficult. It just takes time and patience. It also takes a LONG extension. 20"+. Me an my buddy did my tranny swap in my Jimmy this summer. I started all the prep work (driveshafts, drop the pan, crossmember, etc) before he got there to help me. The actual swap itself took under 5 hours in my driveway. It took 2 guys, a floor jack (3 ton large cup) and hand tools. The long extension is a life saver to get to the top 2 bellhousing bolts. I think we used the 20"+6" extension and then a socket to get them off. My buddy has done a few tranny swaps, and I had helped out on one prior, but that is all the experience I have and needed. The tranny is still holding and made the 1000 mile trip from AZ to CO, so I did something right apparently.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, by myself and being only 16, i can get it done in two three hour sessions. so not to hard to do. i dropped the tranny and x-case together and it made it a lot easier.

NITRO

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i helped my dad put the 700 in my blazer..i know what you mean about that extension..i rememeber having to use one in the installation. i think i could do it..but i was thinking..like you all said..it would take some time..(taking out the cross mem. drive shafts..t-case and all that) but i bet i could do it.i liked that part of woring on my blazer (the mechanical part)..its the body that i always bitched about..and is the reason im trying to get rid of it now. i dunno ill see what my parents have to say about it..only thing is i wouldnt be able ot get started on it untill it got warm here. could you put a 700r4 in it? or would that be a bad idea..and you would probobly need adapters right..or else id just go get another 350...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool! so you just swaped the tranny and t-case on the ground..then put the new combo back up in the truck right?

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

on the th350, u hafta have the x-case off n e wayz to get to the bolts that hold the tranny to the adapter, so it was the easiest way to do it was to drop it all down and wo it on the ground

NITRO