Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is bodywork

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WARP1, Jun 17, 2002.

1. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

I have a 1973 Blazer that needs some bodywork. Basically every panel except the hood and passenger fender needs to be repaired or replaced. There are rust holes in the front kick panels (down by the feet of the front seat passengers) that also need repair. I have no body work experience or tools. If I buy a welder, an air compressor and read a good instruction book can I fix this? I took a welding class at the local community college. I am just finishing an engine rebuild project on my Mustang so mechanical stuff doesn't scare me.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sounds like you should be able to handle it just remember it's an OLD truck and if you want it to be perfect it aint gonna happen unless your rich... Start with the stuff you can't see like the floors . I did my driverside floor by removing the old rust putting down some rust eater painting it and then fabbing a piece of sheet metal outta an old hood and glued and screwed it , new carpet hides that....You can do it...You've already taken a welding class take a bodywork class.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Good luck

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Body work is not hard, providing you have the tools, time and especially the number one thing: patience. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have usually found this to be true with rust repair. As bad as it looks, it will be worse when you start tearing it apart. familiarize yourself with what patch panels are available and a local sheet metal shop who will bend pieces for you can be a big help as well.

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Get out the tools and go for it. just remember that what you see is only the tip of the rustberg. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Take pics and ask lots of questions. look below to see what you'll be enjoying.