Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it really to install gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Jun 3, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

All I have for tool are the basic back yard mech variety. I don't have that guage for checking backlash. Do you really need it? Can you use regular grease for marking grease? I can't afford a detroit for the front of my scout to bolt my 5.13's to. So I figured the 14 bolt is already set up with 3.73's and I could yank a set out of a half ton axle I have lying around and drop them into my HD D44. This way I would at least be able to drive it a little and maybe work out some of the bugs. I've done tons of reading about it, but I still seem to be a little intimidated by it. I guess if I hash the gear set there is no money lost and I can chalk it up to a leason learned. Any help and advise you guys can lend will be appreciated.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have doneEVERTHING to my truck (built the motor, rebuilt trannies and t-cases, swapped a number of parts) and I still feel I better leave a gear install the the dudes that do it all the time...

There is a guy here in town that is installing my D60 gears for $125 and my 14bff gears for $105. That is a hell of a deal IMO. I don't really wanna drop the cash for a case spreader and a press and a bearing remover so I will leave it to this dude...

Chris

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have rebuilt a tranny and transfer case and you won't do gears I'm really scratching my head as to why.

I haven't actually done a set yet but they're FAR simpler than a transmission or transfer case if you ask me.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I set up my own in my 14BFF and it wasn't too bad, but it is a pretty easy design because it doesn't use shims to set backlash just those adjuster rings on the sides. Lot easier to turn those than pull carrier in and out to change shims. Dana axles have shims between the carrier and the bearing so you have to get the "set-up" bearings or you'll be pulling off and pressing on bearings a lot. Before i did mine I did a lot of searching through posts to see what people thought. I would do another 14B, but I'd be worried to try a Dana.

If ya don't care about messing up a gear set and some bearings, then give it a whirl if nothing else it'll be a learning experience /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Not sure about using grease as marking compound I'm pretty sure you can buy the right stuff froma shop that set's up gears.

Yes you will need a dial indicator. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for like $25 plus $15 for the magnetic base /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

If ya do it set aside a bit of time cause it's not a quick job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have rebuilt a tranny and transfer case and you won't do gears I'm really scratching my head as to why.

I haven't actually done a set yet but they're FAR simpler than a transmission or transfer case if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure I could do it, just as I did the 465 and 205 rebuilds...But I wouldn't try the install on my D60 unless I had a case spreader, a press, and a bearing puller and a dial gauge..I am more comfortable paying a guy that sets up D60 and 9" rear ends every day to do my D60 install...I may try my 14bff, but I really don't wanna mess w/ shims on the D60 all freaking day...My time is more valuable than that to me /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif