Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard is it really?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 25, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey guys
    i have to replace my rear tailpan and the floor..but first just the tailpan considering thats the really important part!! how hard is it to replace it? and i was wondering if i should replace my body mounts..how do you know when you should and would this be a good time to replace like the rear ones..when i have the floor out for relpacement?

Thanx-Bryan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Once you have it apart enough to replace the tailpan you may as well do the rest of the floor. It is a lot of work...might as well do it only once. As for body mounts you might as well do them while you're at it. They aren't that expensive and you'll be most of the way there for the work involved replcing them. A lot of guys use poly mounts, including myself. Read Yunit's article a few times and get familiar with what is required to do the floor repair.

Unless your floor is in good shape and only the tailpan needs replacing...but that it pretty uncommon. Grim Reaper did a cool custom home built tailpan repair...if you ask nicely he may give you some pointers, or a link to a few pic's. Other mebers that I can think of ofhand would be Boss on his old '75, Riz (not sure if he's done yet...) and a few others.

You will need a sawzall, a 4.5" or 5" grinder, tin snips, basic handtools, and either a welder or a freind with a welder to help out.

Rene

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..ok thanx for the pointers! my dad could prooboyl weld..he knwos how to do that stuff..i would need to get my hands on a sawzall though. im only 16 so its going to be kinda tricky..but im up to the challenge. i dont liek the idea fo driving it around wiht no tailpan though..the only thing supporting the back is the floor itslef..and its bowing down form the pressure.

Bryan-later

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Consider it a rite of passage...

Once you have repaired your floor you can say you have accomplished a big repair. It is no fun, but it is a great learning experience. Trust me, you'll know your truck inside and out by the time you're done.

Rene

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> It's not bad at all ........... I could do one in a few hours now that I did mine ! The hardest part is getting the new flor and tailpan to fit in there ........ I spread my rear quarters out a bit but others have done it differently. I'd highly recommend you to POR15 the whole thing so it won't have to be done again later on ...... Also, now would be a god time to replace your wheel wells if they're shoddy too. Drop me a line if you need any more assistance ! I did get it done, Rene !

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool..you dont happen to have any pics do you?

Bryan-later

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i checked that out...

Bryan-later

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well im allready to start this as soon as i can get the parts..i cant wait!! kinda "excited" to start it..i knwo there will be plenty of monents when i will think to myself.."why in the h*ll am i bothering"...but i have a good feeling i will be able to do it..and will be very proud of myself knowing i did it!!

Bryan-later

10. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Just got back from the shop this afternoon. was going to remove the floor to sandblast and por15, ended up removing both quarter panels wheel wels and the floor. A little rust on the surface is just the tip of the iceberg. I'll save the floor and wells, no rust on the 1/4 panels. The tailpan and front of the body where the floor mounts needs rebuilding. I've gone this far may as well go all the way (body off frame). I'm taking alot of pictures as i go. when you get into yours let me know and i can give you some advise.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wel i dont think i could ever get that into it at leaat till i get older andhave more skill...im only 16 and am going to need to drive this. my wheel weels look good..they seem nice and slid.and only one quarter panal has some rust.. and thats a small rotted whole..but not al the way through..i will proboboyl just sand it down and fill it with bondo or something. my big problem is just my floor....and the taipan..after i do that back ill have to do the fornt to! lol..o well..the outer body is pretty good..but im going to do this part by part..as i ge the moeny to pay for the parts i need. and speeking of that..i lost my wallet and cant find the damn thing!! o well lol...

Bryan-later

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Look under the Members Rides section under RIZ .... If you need more pics or any help feel free to drop me a line anytime !

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..thanx!!

Bryan-later