Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to convert to a serpintine belt?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Aug 18, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

title says it all, hasn't someone done this? thinking my OBA setup might be easier since I would only have to mount the compresser in a fixed position and the idler/tentioner would take care of the tention issue.

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well for 500 and some change you can order all the brackets.comes with new waterpump alt and everything from Pace Performance...may be able to find it cheeper but thats the only one i have seen..but that gives ya a startin off point

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

how about a salvage yard job? is that possible with an older engine? and adapting all the new stuff?

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well you could but by the time you bought it all from thw wrecking yard it would cost more for the used stuff than it would for the new right out of the box /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif i have priced it out once already...it was goin to be in the 600+ area if i got it all used...

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

what all would I need? and would it all bolt right up to a 71 engine? or are there holes missing

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't know how it would bolt up but there are a ton of 88-95 trucks with serpentine systems that I would think you could get cheap. This may be what Chaz was talking about being $600. I dunno. I've seen this in trucks before but I don't know if they swapped the whole motor or just the belt system.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

check out my answer on your other question. and yes all the holes are there for the way i did it.

nathan

8. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Anybody try the setup from the 4.3 v-6? It looks like a direct swap except for the crank pulley. I was quoted $50 for the brackets and pulleys from a 4.3. I think I can get it with accessories for $100 or so...

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Should work in theory, from what I've heard, (you know how that goes) it's all the same on the front end as a v8

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

thats what i got the price from a 89 to a 9? and all the yards around here thinks there stuff is worth its weight in gold so may be able to find it alot cheeper...but that was what i was quoted for used stuff /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Wow I never would have guessed that much. Our yards smash everything so quickly or they stack them on top of 20 other cars. The 4.3 is the same with 2 cylinders cut off the end so like said in theory this would work.

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the local yards in stockton are basicly picked clean...so for anything worth buying i have to go up to the yards in sacramento...and most of them up there wont let you take the parts off yourself...you have to pay them to pull it off...thats why its so expensive /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

13. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Vintage Air in San Antonio makes a serpentine belt drive kit. I do not know the cost, but it looks trick..
    www.vintageair.com
    Or do like I did and install a later model TBI 350 and get the serpentine drive and new compressor for free.... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif