Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to go from Automatic to Manual Trans.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan75, May 13, 2002.

1. Ryan75

Ryan75 Newbie

I have a TH350 with a NP203 transfer case. How hard is it to go the SM465 with a NP205 transfer case. What do I need to do and is it worth it?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need a complete SM 465 and 205 combo with flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, crossmember, pedal hangers, and clutch linkage (or clutch master, slave cyl. etc if you're going with a hydro clutch.) It's best to use a parts truck sitting next to yours during the swap...but that's not always practical.

Once all the tranny T-case stuff is in you'll need new drivelines. The rear shaft will need to be longer and the front shaft will need to be shorter.

I'm curious why you want to swap though? The TH350 is a decent tranny and cheap to build/fix. The 203 is one of the strongest cases out there...and also inexpensive to buy or fix.

BTW...if you fill out your profile we might be able to help out with parts or whatever if it turns out you're nearby. I have a complete 465/205 combo with all the parts to convert...

Rene

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am doing this right now!

Currently I have a th350/203. Going to a Hydro Sm465/203/doubler/205.
    Your biggest issue, if your not aware, the sm465/205 will be shorter than your th350/203 (sm465/203 is the same length as th350/203). This means you will have to get a longer rear shaft. I am not sure about your front shaft though, I suspect this will be a little shorter.

Good luck.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I just ditched the TH400/205 combo in favor of the 465/205 with plans of a doubler next year! You can't beat the "low" gear on the rocks! 6.71 compared to 2.41 IIRC with the 400... that and I don't have to worry about over heating the auto anymore in the mud and muck out here! Auto's slip nasty when wheeling hard on em - when they overheat.

Besides, I like 3 pedals better than only 2! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif BTW - peek up under the dash, next to the brake hanger... you may already have provisions to hang the pedal. That means only one bolt to put in to hang it!!! That's what happened to me.

And as for the driveshaft question... you will probably have to lengthen/shorten your shafts as stated above.

As for the hydro - if you don't plan to go hydro, leave the auto in! It makes all the difference!

Finally, Rene's list looks pretty close to complete to me! The only other thing left out so far that I noticed, is that if you plan to keep your auto column, you'll have to pull the shifter which is only one pin short of falling out... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Last but not least, check out my webshots for the pics of the 465 I rebuilt. The trans I am using needed a new output shaft... only took 3 days, and the help of the folks here to get me thru it! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Rene... you been holding out on me? I didnt know you had the stuff. I have been watching for a truck to come rolling my way that I could rob all the pieces and parts out of for the swap but no luck so far. I am just finding that its time for a lower gear ratio...

Mike

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

not that difficult if you have a parts truck. i just did mine, i just need to setup my hydro clutch and i am set. the drive lines will change if you switch from 203->205 Xcase.

ARQ.

7. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Glad to see another North Carolinaian on the Board.

It is not that difficult to do. I have done it twice. The previous posts listad the majority of the stuff needed to do the swap.

It is time consuming, but I feel it is well worth it. It is definatly easier to either get a donor truck or have good access to a quality junkyard.

if you have any questions let me know. I am in High Point during the week if you want to get together sometime and discuss the possibilities.

Talk to ya later,
    Brandon