Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to install a body lift on an IFS truck?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by afroman006, Jan 21, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My friend bought a body lift for his 97 Z71 and wants me to help him put it on. I've never done any kind of body lift before so I only have a general idea of what to do. Anyone have any idea how long it will take someone like me to do? Any little things I need to watch out for? Thx

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i cant speak much ive never done one or owned a newer chevy, but im guessing its like any other body lift really, how high is it? as usual watch for lines/wires anything thats connected to the frame and body, shifter linkage problems..stuff like that..other than thats its a matter of getting the body bolts loose, lifting the body up..one side at a time and slipping the pucks in and rebolting the body down. oh yea and watch the fan shroud. would be a good time to do body mounts to, but with a truck that new probobly wont need them, inless you wanna upgrade to the poly mounts, which i plan ot do with my truck.

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

ITs all easy you just have to make sure you follow the directions on the newer style trucks mine was very very easy. it took me and a buddy about 4 hours to put on there easy to do so expect 4 to 8 hours of work. We had to get it done by that night so we worked fast. Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. afroman006

The only thing I am knowingly concerned about is the fan shroud. The shift linkage is a cable so thats no problem. Its a 3" and we have air tools and anything we'll need at my shop.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just cut the bottom out of it.., or take the lower half off if its 2 peice..

6. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

for the fan shroud you could do like mine was done, use 3in spacers between the upper and lower, my brother took his bottom half off and after sitting for awhile on a hot day just idling it will start to overheat!! as for air tools, i think i remember people saying dont break the bolts loose with air tools incase one wants to snap!!! hope this helps, did he get a front bumper relocator kit with it? if so would he be willing to sell the original bumper brackets? pm me if he will. hope this helps and thanks, chris

7. afroman006

We started it yesterday afternoon and worked on it almost all night. The whole front bumper situation was a PITA! We worked until way later than we should have and stll didnt get to the bed. But, I was doing most of the work cause my friend isnt very mechanically endowed to start with and he has a strained abdominal muscle or some inury like that so he was really limited on what he could do. Oh well, I'm sure the next one or two I do will go faster...I hope. Yah I'll get you those brackets, send me a PM.