Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard is it to install a steering box???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 10, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

what kind of gear oil does it use etc.???

I keep adjusting my steering box, but it comes out of adjustment withing about 10 miles. the steering is so loose in the front end I think the thing is almost dangerous to drive. I adjusted it in my other k5 right after I bought it, and haven't had a drop of trouble since.

I've got a wrecked k5 here, and I'm wondering if there is anything I have to be concerned with as I remove it. I think this would be the easiest way to solve it.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

4 bolts, remove the pressure line, return line, rag joint (7/16" 12 point socket required - and PB Blaster it a half hour beore you take it apart), and that's it.

Probably already did this, but did you check the frame, etc. where the box mounts? Make sure it's the box causing the problems, not the frame or front end. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i just posted my question, i think i have the same problem

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

uses hydraulic oil or tranny fluid or PS fluid
    make sure the years are similar as there are a few variations of steering box
    one split is 76-77 for input shaft size
    dont know the others for hydro fittings

5. solowookie

ok thanks guys... my wrecked k5 is an 89 - same year as my other 2 k5's so that shouldn't be a problem...

other then ball joints what else would I check in the front end???

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

tie rod ends and knuckle ball joints are the biggest spots

7. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Make sure that you have a pitman arm puller handy. I didn't see this suggestion listed above and you'll surely need one...

Can borrow for free from large auto parts store.

8. solowookie

tie rod ends are new, and ball joints are in good shape... I will definitely double check everything though, and make sure (also retorque u-bolts, steering box bolts etc.)

9. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I just put new seals in mine becasue it was leaking. At the same time I replaced a rusted out inner fender. I would recommend removing the inner fender before working on the stearing gear. It only takes a few minutes and it really makes everything accessible. On my 84 K5 nothing was attached to that left side inner fender. With the tire off and the inner fender out of the way everything was setting right there in front of me. If I ever have to work on the steering gear again that's what I plan on doing but I hope I never have to work on it again.