Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to lower the radiator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, Jun 8, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I just got my 3"body lift on & the instructions called for lowering the radiator. is it needed & if so is it easy?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

just trim the shroud.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

When I got my K5 the previous owner had put a body lift on it and let the fan do the trimming for him. Probably not the best way to go about it, but it works....I guess. I wouldn't recomend it though.

Kris

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The instructions will tell you how to do it if you have the Performance Accessories kit...although, I think on our trucks, you have to trim the fan shroud instead.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

do you have the 2peice shoud or 1peice if you have the 2 go to the local hard ware store and get 3inches in washers or a coupling nut and 2 bolts

6. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

"3inches in washers or a coupling nut and 2 bolts "
    Can you imagine how cool the noise would be if those washers vibrated free and fell into the fan ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Sorry manI just had to find a reason to use that cool new gremlin . /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "3inches in washers or a coupling nut and 2 bolts "
    Can you imagine how cool the noise would be if those washers vibrated free and fell into the fan ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Sorry manI just had to find a reason to use that cool new gremlin . /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

loctite...jbweld....mig welder... no more rattle.. lol

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

hehe I understand but with locktite and/or lock nuts(the nylon kind) it should be fine BTW ive seen it done Or you could just use the coupling nut

9. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

I did my 3" bodylift (Black Diamond) a couple of weaks ago. I have the 2 piece fan schroud and what i did was this: Separated the two pieces. Fabbed two 5" pieces of sheetmetal into 1+3+1" looking like --> I_I Then i put the thing back together with the new "spacers". The problem (i didnt think this far ahead /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) is that i was forced to trim some of the bottom shroud to fit the trans cooling lines and the lower radiator support. All in all i dont know if it was worth the effort, but now its there so i guess ill let it stay.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so the shroud is still there.
    does it actually DO anything positive anymore?
    the chev mounts the engine so my=uch lower then the rad stock, so a 3" BL pretty much makes the fan useless IMO