Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to rebuild a 350 trans?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Feb 28, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I am able to function mechanically and was able to change my own gears if that helps you gauge my ability(or not)

I want to find a junkyard spare(or freebie) and have a project to work on. This is for the future, but can anyone rebuild one? What is the toughest part of the rebuild?

When I look at the rebuild kits, there are a lot of rings and parts so looks a bit intimidating.

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Buy a book and a video, watch, read, and do it. That's what I'm doing. The book doesn't make it sound too complicated and if you set up your own gears then you shouldn't have much problem with a tranny. The most difficult part for me will be the measuring and shimming for endplay. I am one of those measure once cut yourself guys.

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine, well tried... For some reason, it won't shift into third. There are a ton of parts, so make sure you have a lot of clean work space. It basically cost me the same as it would have to buy a rebuilt. After I opened up the case, I found one of the sprags had exploded and there was chunks of metal everyware. It took a while to locate the parts to replace them but I finally found some ($70) When I took the case in to be hot tanked, we found a hairline crack in the top of the case - right where the exploded sprag was. I was able to locate a core "K" case ($125), stripped it and took it into be hot tanked. It needed a some machine work done so hot tank and machine work was $110. So when all was said and done, it cost me around $480 (with a new torque converter and the rebuild kit) and a rebuilt transmission was around $525 at the time - and it isn't working right. I'm just going to find someone to rebuild it for me this time. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My guy charges $250 for a TH 350 and $275 for a TH 400. Not worth it to touch one myself IMO.

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah i quess i will not rebuild one yet. At some point though i will probably go down to pick a part and take one a part to learn more.

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Build one. The first one you can chaulk up as a learning experience and after that, you can charge $250 to rebuild your buddy's tranny. There is nothing in an automatic tranny that is brain surgery.

7. TheEmissary

TheEmissary Registered Member

I rebuilt my THM350-C last winter after I swapped it for a 700R4 back in August 2001; a local tranny shop used a passenger car case instead of a K-series csee.

Right now, the tranny is in a 75 Nova with a 305 that used to be in the Montrose Patriot.

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I did mine recently, it was easy, after I got the right parts, cost me like 300, new pump and master kit. Too ka few days but I was working in single digits. Best way to look at it. It only goes together one way .

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Go for it,,,that's the only way to learn,,,If you buy the B&M rebuild kit it comes with a manual that is step by step.
    I still have the manual from 1980 when I built my first one.
    now I'm showing my age,,,,,

Rule 1 work clean!!!Rule 2,, see rule 1
    check all of the hard parts for wear (shafts,,drums,,bearings) if in doubt take the part to a local tranny shop and ask their opinion,,sometimes they will even give you parts they have laying around if you need one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif