Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard is it to regear.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 2, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..to make things short..my truck has 3.08..i wanna run 33's..how hard would it be to swap the 3.73 gears in my blazer with that in my truck?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Easy, just find a set of axles and swap 'em in....Hardest part of that is bleeding the brakes again....

prolly cheaper too....

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wanna put them in the 10 bolts under my truck ...and swap them with the 10 bolts under my blazer..instead of swapping axles all together..but what does bleeding the brakes have to do with it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I've never changed gears, never tried....To me personally, changing axles IS easier....

Do a search, there are a few write ups on this very subject, to include different axles....

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Changing axles is MUCH easier than changing gears. Ive done both a few times now and would much rather swap an axle.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

But when you get new gears, you know they're new. When you swap axles, who knows how old the gears and other parts are.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm sure you can find a new set of axles for much less than half what it would cost you to buy new gears and have someone set them up for you....if cost is an issue /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

While changing axles is technically easier, you can do a gear swap on a 10 bolt fairly painlessly.It does take a few special tools. You need a pinion depth gauge, and feeler gauges. (I've seen them on ebay for fairly cheap.) If you go to www.ringpinion.comn, they have excellent information. My gear kit came with better instructions than the GM axle book I have.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You need a bearing puller, a press, a dial indicator with magnetic base, a good torque wrench that reads in inch/pounds, and a way to hold the pinion gear while tightening the pinion nut to get the proper preload on the crush bearing. And oh yeah, a tractor trailer load of patience! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You will most likely have to install and remove the gears many times before you get the pattern correct. It's much easier to get the pinion depth set correctly the first time if you have a pinion gauge depth measuring tool, but those cost big bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

This is NOT a job for a novice mechanic. You're dealing with tolerances of just a few thousandths of an inch, and if you set up the gears incorrectly they will self destruct very quickly. Get it wrong just a few thousandths either way and you just wasted a few hundred dollars and a lot of your time. Get it right and you'll be happy about all the money that you just saved! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, if you decide to do the gears yourself, don't even mess with the factory ratios. I'd go straight to 4.56's with 33's and a 700R4. That will give you great performance, and will still work good when you decide that you'd really rather have 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm well from what you guys are saying i think i better just swap the axles! the axles i wanna swap have 3.73 and i wanna run 33's with them. with 3.08 its just outa the question for me. so im ganna pullem and replace what needs to be to make them drivable then swap them i guess. then swap them in...get the tires..then coems a lift. i would get 3/4 with like 4:10 someplace but i dont have the money right now. i need it for other things and these axles are rgiht here so i mgiht as well usem. probobly will get replaced with 3/4 down the road anyhow..