Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to relocate the axles, and does it effect steering?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by PetaKane, Aug 21, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry I know this has been gone over on this forum before, but I can't find any threads to answer my questions. If I buy 4 of those zero-rate add a leaves, for the sole purpose of using them to relocate the axles, how much work is involved. I'm sure there is quite a bit more work to be done in the front, right? Does anybody know all the steps you must go through? And does the 2-3 inches you gain in wheelbase make any noticable difference to the person behind the wheel?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Moving the front axle will cause extra bumpsteer (shorter draglink) so if that's already a problem for you, it's gonna get worse.....

I've stretched my K5 about 3 inches so far (from 104" to 107") it sure seems to work nice. I didn't scrape my front or rear on some STEEP stuff in Moab over the last few days!!!

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

search this forum under "zero rates" and some of the other associated terms, there is a lot of existing info already. One thing you may want to look at is the height you'll gain. We're looking at building a shorter zero rate just for offset purposes. That may be more what you're looking for.