Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is it to replace lower ball joints???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 25, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I am in the process of doing my wheel bearings and I notice the when I wiggle the hub up and down, the lower ball joint has a lot of play. I was told that they should be replaced. Is it something I can do myself, or is it too involved? Thanks.

2. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I helped a friend replace his awhile back and I don't remember there being too much involved. If you don't have a ball joint press then you'll need to rent one. A good impact with some psi behind it is a nice extra too. For the price and what is involved I recommend that you inspect your upper ball joints thouroughly while you have it torn down. Maybe just go ahead and replace them now and save a headache for something else later. One thing to remember the lower ball joint he bought had a grease fitting in it. Be sure if you want to add grease to it do it before you put the axleshaft back in. Just speaking from experience. -Russell

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its not that tuff, its just laborous. I just did this last weekend; new uppers, lowers and axle u-joints. I got greasable ball joints and the upper I got had the grease fitting on the side so you can grease it any time. if you don't have a manual, remember the ball joints pressout of the top(push on the bottom) and don't for get to look for a snap ring on the lower.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>