Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard is it to replace...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

various nuts and bolts on a k5? I might have lost some (I can't find quite a few, or maybe there isn't as much as I thought) but anyways, I need a bunch of nuts and bolts, do they sell them on LMC or places like that? There really isn't a junkyard that has a k5 just sitting there around here...

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

You could just go to a hardware store and pick out the sizes you need? Just make sure to get a grade that is strong enough for the application.

3. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

lmc does have a listing for most hardware but if you need quite a few you might want wait till you hit the lottery /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yes, LMC will take you for a ride with their prices. I only use their catalogue for the pictures. lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I could go to a hardware store, but some of the things are probably special made. I just don't want to mess anything up is what I am saying. I will think about the hardware store. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

While you still remember where the bolts go, get freezer bags with the tags on them and write down where they go, before you forget. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It will make things soooooooooo much easier when you put it back together again.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the only bolts that i can think of are special are, i can't think of any. you can get just about any bolt you need from the hardware store, just make sure they are the size and grade you need. i use at least grade 5 for everything.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

only speacel ones i can think of are moter mound blots, and caliper bolts. any onter speacal blots are tapered tips (witch dont really mater) and ones with thinks like torque heads.

hardware stores are fine buddy, just try not to buy stuff made overseas, get northamarica made stuff for sure quality. and i agree use grade 5 stuff, or 8 for heave load bareing stuff, (bumper,winch mounts ect.)

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

A bolt that is hard to find at the hardware store are the leaf spring eye bolts. The 9/16" ones. At least they are hard to find around here.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, if I need a bolt I will just look at the hardware store and hope they have it. I have been labeling things lately, but most of the interior I got carried away with and forgot to lable. Right now I can't think of anything else that is going to be really hard to put together without the right bolts.
    I will just pray and hope that I can find them all in the spring. I have some in a bucket, a container, and some bags.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 9/16" bolts are quite easy to find hear, good selection also
    the motor mount bolts are a 1/2" x 4.5" nothing special, bought some at the hardware store here.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

we just bought a complete set of stainless fasteners for a 79 Bronco from totallystainless

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how much?

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if I find a set for chevs I will let ya know
    I want a set as well for my clip swap

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I looked on the site and it didn't do much? I will try to search around there again...