Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard is this to change?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Feb 7, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

My turning siginal lever I think has had it. It hasn't clicked back from a left hand turn on over a year and now I really have to push hard to get it to stay up on a right hand turn so it's time for a change. I was thinking of going to a junkyard and getting one, but I don't know how to remove or install this thing. If theres replacement parts to stay up or click over I would rather buy that, but again do I need to remove my wheel for any of this? :confused:

Thanks!

2. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Its pretty easy. Its controlled by a plastic "thingy" inside of the steering column. Just tear appart a steering column and you'll see it. Then carefully take it apart and do the reverse to your truck when you get home. I just did mine and it was the first time I pulled apart my steering column. I do suggest getting the specialty tool to hold the spring back so you can install the snap ring back on when re-assembling it. I made my own but I don't know the tooling you have available to you.

~Brian

3. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Your going to have to remove the wheel to replace that signal lever.
    EDIT: Im slow

4. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

What about just for the "springy" things that catch the lever for a turn?

5. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Thats under the locking mechanism in the steering column. To get at that you have to take the steering column apart.

~Brian

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You can get new springy thingies and click thingies from any auto parts store that carries Motormite (HELP!) products. Alternately, you can order the stuff right from chevy duty or LMC. And all of them are under the lock plate inside the column.

Right now Harbor Freight has a steering wheel puller/lock plate compressor combo kit for $13.99. It's only available in the stores, though. I couldn't find it online. Item 42031.