Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Hard is this to fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm really considering buying a 77 I've found for 1500. It has a fairly clean body which I was looking for so I can start a buildup. In the pictures is suppose to be one of the only bad spots the truck has. I've heard because it's inside the door frame it would be difficult to fix.

Any thoughts on how hard it would actually be to fix the rot?

http://community.webshots.com/album/231870948RYZXgF

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd be very surprised if that's the only rot on the truck. Check under the carpets, check the rearmost area of the floor. Usually the tailpan rots out back there leaving the box sides weak.

Pretty odd to see rust that high on the truck though, almost like it spent it's life close to the ocean.

I would recomend taking a very critical look at it before parting with a single cent. As for how hard it would be to fix...it would be time consuming and difficult. I'm not even sure they sell patch panels for that far up the truck so you'd have to fabricate all your own patch pieces. Rust repair usually takes 3 times longer than you first figured and costs two to three times more than you first thought.

Rene

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

RUST IS FUNNNNNNNNNNNN

if you have a welder, a grinder a cuttingwheel and some bondo you shouldent have a problem fixing it. the only thing i would be worried about is getting the pannels to fit back right.

If i were you i would buy it, cut all that out and buy a softtop for a 72 model that goes all the way above the doors and to the windshield. Thatd be your best bet and fabbing something like that really isint that bad if you have all the equiptment

4. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

haha man thats not rust...

'looks up at location'

5. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is way too much for a blazer. Check around your area u should be able to find a good starter body solid floors and such, I live in the rust belt and i found a complete blazer with solid floors a carb 350 and th350 that runs for $300.00
    So I would think long and hard about spending 1500 on something u have to do a lot of work to. there are a lot of these blazers around and all of them are interchangeable. i should have some pics of the progress on mine up soon.
    The other thing to think about is how much can u acctually do ur self?

6. vervepipes

vervepipes Registered Member

no kidding, i bought a grinder just FOR the k5. the first thing i didn was take off my running boards and cut off what was left of my rockr panels (didnt really need a grinder for that, i could poke it off with my fingers but the grinder gave it a "cleaner look" :)

before it got too cold here i was outside every day grinding. i think i found a new hobby

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Grinder is so noisy-

Good thing home depot has these new "AM/FM" sound blockers. ;)