Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard/long does it take to swap a carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 8, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the holley on my 350 needs cleaning and taking apart but i just wanna junk the whole thing and swap a rochester from the 305 off my blazer on. and thats my other question..will the carb from a 305 work fine on a 350..or is one smaller than the other?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

there are a hundred different Rochester Quads. when you replace the carb your suppose to match the numbers on the back of the carb... Atleast thats what the Auto Parts store told me (we all know how knowledgeble some of those guys are) As far as time goes it shouldnt take more then a half hour - 45 minutes to swap them.... when i was trying different carbs on my motor i got down to about 20 minutes to swap em.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The swap isn't gonna take long. Getting the linkage set-up right probably takes longer than swapping carbs. You might need an adapter to get the q-jet on depending on what manifold you have, squarebore vs. spreadbore. Just make sure you have all the parts you need and it will be no problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

the swap will only take a few minutes all told, but the tuning of the carb can take days and days.

Its virtually impossible to open the box and bolt on a carb that will work perfectly... not impossible, but nearly. just about any carb will need to be tuned for your engine and if you take a stock one from a 305 and put it on a 350 it will definitely need to be tuned. It is possible to seriously damage or destroy your engine by running too lean. Jsut something to think about.