Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard should an NP205 shift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't have anything to compare it to....but at BlazerFest, trying to get the case to switch between 2HI and 4HI was often rubbery and "notchy" and that's with the truck travelling at low speed, in gear.

Getting it up into 4LO was bad too. It would NEVER go while the transmission was in gear (I'm not sure it's supposed to anyway!) I had to be in neutral for it to travel up to the forwardmost position (4LO).

Is this just a sign of a case that needs rebuilding? I hear the NP205s are REALLY simple inside, but like everything in life, if you don't know what you're looking at.....it's hard to know if things are WRONG in there!!!

Someone mentioned an external "linkage adjustment" during the weekend...is there really something that simple I could look at too?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

To go into 4lo you must be in neutral. Not sure about the rest.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

to go into 4low you need to be stoped and in neutral to go from 2hi to 4hi should be fairly smoth and can be done at any speed although i would not recomend shifting it at freeway speeds lol

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Like the other said. I find it even easier to shift to LO while in Park. 2HI to 4HI can be shifted in any gear, but again, I find it even easier when in N or Park.
    Boss

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Howdy Greg, I can't say what needs to be done on yours, but mine shifts very easily between 2 and 4HI. This is of course after cleaning off 30 years of grime, new bearings, seals and so on.

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine goes 2 to 4 hi real easy. 2 to 4lo going in is easy coming out depends on the terrain. In Moab it is a Beotch to get out of 4lo sometimes, but if you pull on the and burp the throttle it will sometimes pop right out or for mine I can turn all the way to the right and back up about half a circle and it will come out. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif You might want to check the bolt that holds the shifter on it may have that plastic bushing bound up in there

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I always shift mine "on the fly". I often can't get it out of 4lo when stopped. When the speeds get high enough that 4lo is too low I put the tranny in N and shift out of 4 lo into 4hi (all the way back). I have never shifted the t-case in gear and didn't think you were suposed to. I also sometimes down shift into 4lo while rolling...seams to work just fine.

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if im rolling at all mine is hard to shift in and out of gear.i also thought unless you had push button lockup transfers you shouldnt try to shift while moving. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If the front hubs are locked you can shift from 2wHi to 4wHi while moving. Both sides of the TC are allready turning at the same speed. If you have "auto" hubs then you have to come to a complete stop. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you have to remove the pressure on the gears to shift.
    that means you cannot be either accelerating decelerating or moving at a constant speed.
    what is left is the free play between accel and decel, give the throttle a little 'blip' while applying pressure on the shift and it should pop into/out of gear when the pressures switch from acel to decel.
    with a manual tranny you can shift into and out of any 205 position with the hubs locked at any speed.