Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard to install harmonic damper in the truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slowk5, Jan 23, 2006.

1. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

I think the 35 year old damper is shot.The timing marks dont line up with tdc.the rubber is all cracked.I know that i need to get the installer and remover tool,can i get it off with with the radiator in the truck?Any help whould be great.

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you should have no problem removing and replacing it in your truck. it's a pretty easy process, actually. when are you looking to do this? i have the tool to remove and reinstall a balancer, assuming the threads inside the crank shaft of your motor are the same as those in a 6.2 diesel crank. when are you looking to do this? i live in portland, so if you don't want to spend the cash on the tool, i could help you out.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you should be able to get it off with no problem, you may have to remove the shroud and the fan, but nothing else.

i have done it many times, but the radiator has been out.

4. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

Remove Radiator

The radiator is a fragile accessory. If you slip with a wrench you can easily poke a big hole in your radiator. I recommend taking a little extra time and remove it. They can cost a couple of hundred dollars for a new one.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i can appreciate where you're coming from on that, but i really don't think it's necessary. there's plenty of room to work in there w/ the radiator in it. it is helpful to remove the fan, as stated, but the shroud, from my experience isn't even necessary to remove. it's easiest to work from under the front of the vehicle than from over the top, too, just so you know. there's nothing really for wrenches to slip off of - you've got 4 bolts holding your crank pulley on and then one big arse bolt holding the dampner on, all of which you have to use a socket wrench for, thus, it's pretty difficult to slip and end up sending your wrench toward your radiator, esp. if you use a long ratchet which hangs down below the sway bar - then you have that guard too. i wouldn't turn a 30 minute project into an all day event.