Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how hard to remove a body lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

might be buying a truck thats got a body lift on it. the truck is way to tall, so i want to ditch the body lift and also swap smaller springs under it as well. how hard is it to take a body lift out? or is it such a pain that i should just keep it and run really small lifted springs? it is a regular cab 8' bed pickup. thanks

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I imagine its about the same as putting one in...

Jack up one side of body with jacks and wood and remove pucks, have the other side loose when you jack up the one side. Repeat on other side. Bed, well Id just take it off and do it that way. You might have to readjust any linkages, shrouds..

3. muddybuddy

ive never done a body lift before. how many people you think would be needed? i assume it would be necessary to disconnect all of the linkage. i guess it would be a good time to replace the bushings as well.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

You should probably have at least four people to remove the bed, and for the cabjust loosen all the bolts and do one side at a time. The radiator support is easy then by your self

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You can do it alone. Just loosen the bolts on one side and remove the pucks from the other side.

Watch for an extended fuel filler neck, shifter rods , radiator shroud lowering, and the steering shaft which would have been extended.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

taking a body lift off is easier then putting one in. you have a much better chance off all the bolts coming out. you can do it all by yourself in a few hours. now is the perfect time to put in new bushings. it's almost worth buying a 1" bodylift since it comes with all the correct length bolts. otherwise you will probably make a few trips to the hardware store.

7. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I've never taken one out but i have put many in. It's easier with 2 guys but can be done with 1.

I usually spend more time getting the bumpers and stuff aligned than i do putting the kit in. It's not hard, just time consuming.

8. muddybuddy

yea im probably going to run and ord 1" body lift and put in all new bushing in. im going to check the truck out on friday, but from what the guy has told me, im most likely going to buy it.

9. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Depending on how long the bodylift has been in there. Most people usually put new body bushings in when they install the bodylift. You may not need new bushings. The bolts wont be to bad to get. I priced new bolts and found it was cheaper to buy a bodylift than just the bolts.

10. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

I've done it on my wifes old K-5. The only thing not mentioned that I had a problem with was the steering arm. After we had all the pucks out I noticed that the drivers side front corner of the truck was still sitting higher than the rest of the truck. We opened the hood to find the the shaft was extended out and rusted in place. After putting a smoke wrench on it and some dead blow mallet action it broke free. After a heavy dousing in P.B. Blaster it was fine the whole time she had the truck.