Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard to replace AC compressor?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by TX Mudder, Aug 9, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the AC compressor on a 97 (same as 95-99) Chysler Cirrus with the V6 2.5L
    I don't know if anyone has specific knowledge on this car, but in general how hard is it to replace the sucker? It's low on the passenger's side so there's no telling how much stuff I have to unbolt just to get to it. Looks like I damn near need to unbolt the fender to get to it ;)
    So, once I loosen the serpentine belt, take off any wiring harnesses, and remove the hoses (ooops, I mean recover the 134-a in a $5,000,000 recovery system that I have in my tool shed ;) is there anything else I have to do?
    The instructions say to put some PAG oil in the compressor which I will obviosuly do. Then, Once everything is hooked back up, I just have to hook up some PAG and 134-s to the low side, turn the engine on, and then repeatedly turn on and off the comnpressor (through the controlls inside the car) so that I don't damage it through a lack of lubrication, right?
    One last thing. In a perfect world I know you should have a vacuum system hooked to it to remove any air or moisture. Unless the hand vacuum pump I use for bleeding brakes will somehow hook up to it, I don't see this happening. ANy problems?
    Thanks for any help or input you guys may have.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Me and scooter just converted my ac system on my car from r12 to 134 and i didnt put it on a vac. and it works great... As for how hard it is to change out.. well not totally sure on that car.. i dont know where it is exactly... some cars you can access the compressor easier from under the car then from the top.. As for cycling the ac... the compressor should not turn on until you get enough freon into the system for actually do something... I myself hooked up the can of freon, then turned the ac system on.... about the time the first can was done it was just starting to kick on... so i toped it off with one more can then the can of oil... (as per directions)....

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

A hand held vaccum pump will not pull down far enough. You need to pull down to at least 5000 microns to boil off any moisture. Only needs to be done when system is opened up. If not moisture will corrode parts in ac system. Mkae sure compressor has oil in it I think they come with oil but not sure.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, Thanks for the help! I ended up pulling it out from the bottom like you suggested. It wasn't bad at all!
    I have a quick question about the pressure readings on the low side. It's on the blazer forum under 'AC pressure question' if you have time to look at it.
    Thanks again!
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]