Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard to replace fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89coptzer, Sep 6, 2006.

1. 89coptzer

89coptzer Registered Member

hello i recently bought an 89 jimmy and i think i already need to replace the fuel pump. my dad drove it to church today and when he got out it just wouldnt start. it had been running fine all day. So he came home and got some gas to pour down the intake (TBI by the way) and it fired right up and ran until the gas was gone (about 5 secs). We did this mutiple times with the same results so we think its the fuel pump. What else may it be, i dont remember hearing the pump clicking so im not sure but i thought maybe some sedimants from the bottom of the tank could have clogged up the fuel filter because i went muddin a little bit for the first time today and hit some ruts pretty hard. i dont know, what do you guys think it is, oh yea, i put some sea foam in the tank and intake yesterday to clean up the motor a little so do you think its possible for the sea form to break up some sediments in the tank like i said to clog the filter (just a thought) also what kind of a project is replacing the fuel pump. its a in-tank filter right so im guessing ill need to drop the tank :doah:. how hard, any tips, and any advice would be great thanxs. :D

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

When you turn the key to the on position, don't start it, you should hear the fuel pump. If you don't hear it, the problem could be either the pump itself, or the relay.
    If you do hear it, you might try to replace the fuel filter. It is on the passenger side frame rail, under the truck.
    If you do have to replace the pump, hopefully the tank isn't full. It's not really a hard job, but can be a pain if there's lots of fuel to deal with.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

first make sure you are getting voltage to the pump, then check to see if your fuel filter is clogged or not then i would replace the pump, its not to bad to do, you do have to drop the entire gas tank out of the truck though

4. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Also, make sure the ground wire has a good connection. Mine had corroded and broke, but unforunately, I didn't find out till after I removed the gas tank to replace the fuel pump. 5 minute fix that turned into a couple of hours if I had just investigated a little more.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Check all the connections first. It royally sucks pulling the tank to find it being simple. Also if you had to drop the tank, go get some PB Blaster and soak the nuts over night.

6. turbofire

turbofire Registered Member

I dropped the tank on my 87 blazer and it wasnt that bad. Have new pump and screen. I bought new tank straps but didnt need them. its easier with the bumper off the blazer. a jack with a piece of plywood secured to the jack was the key to drop it and not drop it on are heads.

7. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make sure theres gas in the tank first , the guages have been know not to work . Always go for the simple things first .

8. bladwin

bladwin Registered Member Premium Member

I know you can mount an inline elect. pump and it will suck through the pump in the tank. And it's easier to get to on the trail. There's a website that specializes in TBI stuff, they have the goods. I ferget the website...

search forum/google