Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How hard to replace power steering pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Jul 28, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Well it's leaking big time now, so how hard is it to replace? Does it need to be bled or anything after being replaced? Or should I take it to a shop? I don't have a lot of mechanical skill, but I can learn. thanks.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's not too hard. There are 4 bolts that hold it on. There are two on the front by the water pump, a bolt on the back and a nut that you have to remove from the back too, the bolt its attached to is part of the pump housing. You also have to remove any belts like the alternator and smog pump if you have one. To replace it just reverse what you did. To bleed it I would attach the hoses tightly and crack a hose at the PS gear box and let it foam out. Make sure you keep fluid in the pump. Good Luck.

3. anatomiczero

Thanks, I'll do it myself.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

you'll have to borrow or rent a power steering pump pulley remover to put the pulleys from the old pump onto the new pump - other thatn that, easy as pie

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You don't need to "crack a hose" to bleed the system. The fluid continuously recirculates, so any air will get passed to the resevoir pretty quickly. Just jack up the front end so that both tires are off the ground, start the engine and slowly move the steering wheel from stop to stop a few times. Shut off the engine, wait a few minutes for any foam in the resevoir to settle down, then top it off with fluid. Go for a test drive. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. anatomiczero

Sounding even easier now, thanks.

7. anatomiczero

I started to remove the pump, but I have no idea how to remove one of the hoses. It doesn't have a hose clamp or anything on it, just a fitting on each end. How is it removed? Do I have to use a pulley puller to take the pulley off?

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I started to remove the pump, but I have no idea how to remove one of the hoses. It doesn't have a hose clamp or anything on it, just a fitting on each end. How is it removed?

[/ QUOTE ] just get the proper sized wrench and take it off they are called flaired fittings but they can be a really stuck somethimes. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Do I have to use a pulley puller to take the pulley off?

[/ QUOTE ] yes unless you want to bend the pully and then have to go and buy a new pully like i had to /forums/images/icons/frown.gif good luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif